OpenShot Switches From GTK+ To Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grok View Post
    I hope that's purely optional? I wouldn't want Firefox to fry my GPU, on top of making my browsing slow.
    Anything done in QML / QtQuick is automatically pushed through an OpenGL Scenegraph, it helps to enforce a clear cut separation between logic and GUI, both during development and during runtime. Not sure how much is automatically done through OpenGL if you take a program that uses QWidgets (traditional Qt) compiled under Qt5
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      You have very strange definitions of "proven fact". OpenShot's and PCMan's praise counts as exactly that - OpenShot's and PCMan's respective opinions. And they might be right, when it comes to OpenShot and PCMan specifically. That still is a long way from being a "proven fact" that Qt is better for every application in every situation.
      It may not be a proven in a mathematical sense but so many projects switched from GTK to Qt (OTOH you could not name a single switch the other way around). When this many projects move only in one direction, the evidence is very clear.

With the help Samsung currently provides to the Enlightenment project, EFL may catch up to Qt in the future but not all EFL modules (esp. Elementary) are there yet. At least the possibility is there ? such is the possibility to turn Clutter into a full-fledged toolkit.
      GTK on the other hand needs a revolution. Even the Gnome community threw out the shell implemented in GTK and replaced it with a Clutter-based solution (=GNOME Shell), suggesting the revolution will not come.

Toolkits can die. Motif/Lesstif already died and that didn't leave the world with a horrible monopoly.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        It may not be a proven in a mathematical sense but so many projects switched from GTK to Qt (OTOH you could not name a single switch the other way around). When this many projects move only in one direction, the evidence is very clear.

With the help Samsung currently provides to the Enlightenment project, EFL may catch up to Qt in the future but not all EFL modules (esp. Elementary) are there yet. At least the possibility is there ? such is the possibility to turn Clutter into a full-fledged toolkit.
        GTK on the other hand needs a revolution. Even the Gnome community threw out the shell implemented in GTK and replaced it with a Clutter-based solution (=GNOME Shell), suggesting the revolution will not come.

Toolkits can die. Motif/Lesstif already died and that didn't leave the world with a horrible monopoly.
        Evidence? Are there more projects moving to Qt than there are staying on GTK then?

Comment

Just because Gnome is not using GTK for the shell does not mean GTK is dying. Fact is there are a number of *new* GNOME applications being written. And new widgets are being developed. Not the sign of a dying toolkit if you ask me.

People have been screaming about the death of GNOME for about three years now (probably longer), and development is still going strong, and I see more people using it now than a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
            Just because Gnome is not using GTK for the shell does not mean GTK is dying. Fact is there are a number of *new* GNOME applications being written. And new widgets are being developed. Not the sign of a dying toolkit if you ask me.
            As far as I can see, they usually use Clutter. GTK has been degraded to a mere provider of Open/Save windows and such. Older Gnome applications don't use Clutter as extensively but even these are migrating towards Clutter in many cases.

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
            People have been screaming about the death of GNOME for about three years now (probably longer)
            What does Gnome have to do with this? Are you as confused as Dee how thinks that Qt and KDE are the same thing?
            Gnome is fine, just GTK is not. That's why Gnome is increasingly using Clutter.

Comment

As far as I can see, they usually use Clutter. GTK has been degraded to a mere provider of Open/Save windows and such. Older Gnome applications don't use Clutter as extensively but even these are migrating towards Clutter in many cases.
              Not true at all. Clutter and Gtk have different use-cases.

What does Gnome have to do with this? Are you as confused as Dee how thinks that Qt and KDE are the same thing?
              It was an example of "X is dying" which has not happened. I thought it was relevant.
              I am quite aware that Qt and KDE is not the same thing. I use quite a few of Qt-but-not-KDE applications on a day-to-day basis.

This toolkit war is pretty pointless. But kudos for the stamina to keep it going for ten pages

Comment

[?]
                Which applications do you mean? With GNOME Documents, for example, it's not the case:
                all: don't use Clutter and ClutterGTK
                Now GTK+ and libgd have everything we used to need Clutter and ClutterGTK for, so port Documents to be a pure GTK application. This has huge benefits for performance, accessibility and integration.
                from git.gnome.org

Comment

Lesstif is alive on the poor computers where I install xpdf (it's okay for a LXDE desktop on some Pentium 3 700 level PC with 256 to 512MB ram)

Else, I use xcalc on a regular basis, always quickly accessible (I launch two of them if I need to quickly compare some numbers). I've found it more enjoyable than mate-calc and galculator. I believe that doesn't use a toolkit at all.
                  Shouldn't that be the new way, with the Wayland paradigm "everything is a dumb pixel buffer"? Death to all toolkits, lol.

Comment

Skype, VLC, BlackBerry 10, Ubuntu Touch, MeeGo, Tizen IVI,…
                    Don't forget about Maya, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, Houdini, Nuke & NukeX, Mari, Katana, Hiero, RealFlow, Cinema 4D, Indego Renderer, Maxwell Renderer, ...
                    Just to name a few.

Qt is a standard in the VFX buisness. Autodesk is moving all of there products to Qt. Motionbuilder 2014 is the new addition this year.

All of the programs i just listed work natively on linux except Cinema 4D now thanks to Qt.

Katana is Linux only.

The entire VFX industry has or is moving there pipelines to linux, windows is barely even used any more in this aspect. Adobe is the only one holding
                    everyone back from going linux only.

Digital Domain recently gave Krita huge props and or is using it for the Gi Joe movies, I think they even purchased a support contract.
                    Last edited by zester; 29 April 2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zester View Post
                      Autodesk is moving all of there products to Qt.
                      If only they did that to Scaleform

Comment

Working...
                      X