Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS vs. EXT4 On Linux Multi-Disk RAID Benchmarks

Phoronix: ZFS vs. EXT4 On Linux Multi-Disk RAID Benchmarks

When dealing with multi-disk configurations and RAID, the ZFS file-system on Linux can begin to outperform EXT4 at least in some configurations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Next up please, Michael, Ext4 LVM vs BTRFS Raid. With compression. Its the test we've been waiting on since whenever you do EXT4 you never do it overtop LVM and sometimes you forget to enable btrfs compression.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

And there you go...

Comment

My XFS test (test1) across 8 x 1TB (Hitachi laptop 5K1000) RAID5 (Adaptec 52445)

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Note, the 8 x 1TB are split across two ports of the Adaptec 52445 (4 drives on each).

HW raid FTW... or maybe something else??

(just for comparison purposes... why not put the whole disk benchmark set?.. noting that the testsuite failed to get some modules in my test1 case)

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
          And there you go...
          Exactly. ZFS scales and ext4 not so much.

Comment

BTRFS apologists proven wrong

BTRFS apologists love to make excuses as to why BTRFS is slower than EXT4 by claiming that the more numerous features of BTRFS invariably yield slower function on bread-and-butter filesystem tasks. Well, take that! ZFS does more things and is faster than EXT4 at the same time! What excuses will they come up with now??

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
              BTRFS apologists love to make excuses as to why BTRFS is slower than EXT4 by claiming that the more numerous features of BTRFS invariably yield slower function on bread-and-butter filesystem tasks. Well, take that! ZFS does more things and is faster than EXT4 at the same time! What excuses will they come up with now??
              Its not a matter of BTRFS apologists... We've requested numerous times that Michael do an EXT4 over LVM vs BTRFS raid benchmark because it IS a more fair benchmark. Btrfs handles everything as 'raid' even with one disk. Its just the nature of the filesystem, so no matter what it accounts for raid, therefore it IS more fair to benchmark it against similar raid. The REAL benchmark here would be

ZFS vs Btrfs vs LVM+Ext4 with 2 disks each. That would the the REAL benchmark to see. Also are you really surprised that ZFS beat ext4? ZFS has had the crap optimized out of it. Pretty sure it even keeps the most used parts of the disk in memory rather than writing to disc... (Not the disc cache, actual RAM)
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                You must have missed the part where this test was run on a server with 22 disks. Maybe btrfs would still be slower, or maybe it would be faster. I have no idea, and you don't either.

Comment

apples to oranges

so raid10 is faster than raid5
                  i'm unimpressed

Comment

I'd love to see the solution with luks encryption involved. I run my ssd's in raid1 for desktop and laptop use, with md, luks, and lvm carefully aligned atop 2 disks for system, but would love to see how this scales for sensitive data across many with the various fs layers involved how performance compares to mtbf with data sensitivity as a concern.

Comment

Working...
                    X