Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,904

    Default Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Released

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Released

    Canonical has officially announced the release of Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" this morning...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1ODY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    42

    Default

    where could one find official 13.04 Ubuntu Gnome image for download?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188 View Post
    where could one find official 13.04 Ubuntu Gnome image for download?
    I don't think there is any...if you want Gnome 3 just install 13.04 and just apt-get the Gnome3 environment from there...that was also what i did way back with Feisty Fawn to install KDE into Ubuntu.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188 View Post
    where could one find official 13.04 Ubuntu Gnome image for download?
    From the article: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/000171.html

    Which then links to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME

    The first official release will be 13.04, which will be available by the end of April 2013. If you're itching to try it now, check out the daily images here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    From the article: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/000171.html

    Which then links to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME

    The first official release will be 13.04, which will be available by the end of April 2013. If you're itching to try it now, check out the daily images here.
    No I don't want daily builds, I want the official 13.04 stable release. Anyway, I found it:
    cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/13.04/release/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    A non release. Nothing significant is changed or improved in this version. Skip it and stay with the LTS. They slashed the support from 18 months to 9 anyways.
    I feel that LTS is a no-go for people with new hardware or who intend to upgrade to newer hardware sometime during the life of the LTS release. There's just too much that will potentially not be supported in the way of hardware drivers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    A non release. Nothing significant is changed or improved in this version. Skip it and stay with the LTS. They slashed the support from 18 months to 9 anyways.
    New kernel, new graphics drivers, updated repos, small improvements to boot time and Unity... That's pretty much all I wanted

    Ubuntu mostly just tests and integrates other upstream changes. What else do you want from updates?

    I'd looking forward to either Mir or Wayland; I don't know the details, but I suspect that will make various display issues work a little more smoothly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    A non release. Nothing significant is changed or improved in this version. Skip it and stay with the LTS. They slashed the support from 18 months to 9 anyways.
    Like every other release? The only difference from an advanced user point of view is more updated packages and thus better hardware support.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    I feel that LTS is a no-go for people with new hardware or who intend to upgrade to newer hardware sometime during the life of the LTS release. There's just too much that will potentially not be supported in the way of hardware drivers.
    They made quantal and raring kernel/Xorg packages available for 12.04 LTS, and i think they come already with newer "point" releases. Search for packages with "quantal" or "raring" (ie. linux-image-generic-lts-quantal).
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    538

    Default

    this is by far the best release canonical ever did.

    stable, decent, etc...

    only thing that lacks is aesthetics fucking unity with gnome icons looks ugly as sin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •