AMD Releases Catalyst 13.4 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    I'm guessing that this means that if you install this driver from your desktop, you end up with the new version installed while at the same time you are still running with the last version (since this was loaded when your desktop started compositing, if it uses opengl). And it probably causes strange behaviors.
    i thought so. but the reports of people who tried it still dont convince me to do so. can anyone report something positive about this 13.4? :Z

edit: lol why is my post so huge?
    Last edited by oldskool69; 27 April 2013, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldskool69 View Post
      can anyone report something positive about this 13.4? :Z
      Sure. For example this seems to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        Sure. For example this seems to be fixed.
        ye, but others also said, tf aint running as well with as before 13.4 and their mouse would only move in slow-motion. scares me a bit. can anyone confirm this?

Comment

ye, but others also said, tf aint running as well with as before 13.4 and their mouse would only move in slow-motion. scares me a bit. can anyone confirm this?
          I just played TF2 (with 13.4) and it was fun like always: No lag, no slow-motion. Maybe just try it? If it won't work perfect for you you can downgrade.

Comment

I started the installer but forgot to dudo. To my surprise the installer prompts for admin password...

Too bad the next message i got was that i need to start the installer with admin rights. You really needed the admin privileges to tell me that?

Comment

Yup, on my Radeon HD 6930 i have this issues with 13.4. For me TF2 is smooth and playable only with 13.3 Beta3 (late March release).

Comment

So, 13.4 hit Arch some hours ago.

The bug I filed is not fixed.

It seems I'm on lost ground here with this apparently exotic configuration (dual-head with _only_ the left screen rotated).
                If someone has a similar Catalyst configuration, I'd be more than grateful if you can try and report back if you're facing the
                same screen corruptions as reported in the link above.

I see the corruptions on three different machines with FirePro 2270 (FirePro drivers), HD 4850 (Legacy Catalyst) and HD 7950*.

[*] Yes, it obviously wasn't a reasonable decision to go for a new AMD GPU after HD 4850 was sent to the legacy branch...
                OTOH, I wanted to support a company which releases large parts of the programming docs. I still consider this to be a fantastic thing.
                Nevertheless, I knew that I need to use the proprietary drivers for such a new card.
                After all, my screen configuration is not supported by GLAMOR yet.
                My (naive) hope has been that the support of the Catalyst Linux driver would significantly improve, now that Steam for Linux hit the streets.

I said it several times before: The options to file bug reports for the Linux Catalyst driver is a mere catastrophe.
                As is the "feedback" by the support team. To me it looks likes AMD intentionally does this to provide "support" without any engagement.
                In the end this just a inofficial bug tracker and the devs respond only extremely rarely. Yes, we had the discussion before...
                I don't completely buy the argument with the *huge* time involved to give feedback on the bugs which are currently worked on.

Just a very short feedback:

- Bug reproduced, Bug not reproduced - need further information, Is not a bug.
                - We're working on it, Bug is fixed in a certain branch - expect it soon/not so soon.
                Last edited by entropy; 28 April 2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                  And again TF2 perfomance issues!
                  With 13.3 beta3 (from late march) TF2 game play was smooth, with 13.4 it freezes with 2 seconds interval.
                  No such issue here, what's your config?

Comment

This doesn't work on my a10-5800k. I experience generally poor performance, and in some games I see the wierd slow-mo issue. Aquaria, for example, seems like there is a 2-3 second delay. I press the joystick in the menu, and after a few seconds the curser moves. It's not actually slow, just delayed. I went back to 13.3 for now.

Comment

two problems

I installed the 13.4 on my Suse 12.3 64bit and have the following problems:

1. a lot of those messages in dmesg:
                      [ 380.806555] <3>[fglrx:firegl_apl_loadDatabase] *ERROR* APL: apl initialize fail.

2. Serious Sam 3 doesn't start anymore :-(
                      I read, that deleting a texture cache might fix this, but I have no idea what file to delete (where?).
                      INF: * Desktop settings...
                      INF: Color depth: 32-bit
                      INF: Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1080
                      INF: Fullscreen on primary display
                      WRN: lspci: GPU vendor and/or device ID not detected!
                      INF: Crash! (Segmentation fault)
                      Game removed: AppID 41070 "Serious Sam 3: BFE", ProcID 5286
                      saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
                      roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Any idea, how to fix the problems?

GPU = HD5850

Comment

Working...
                      X