Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Catalyst 13.4 For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Releases Catalyst 13.4 For Linux

With less than one week left to the month, AMD released today the Catalyst 13.4 graphics driver for Linux x86/x86_64 customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They also released 13.4 for Windows. Random note.

Comment

Why do they never say that muxed hybrid gpu are not supported ?
      You have to actually try to install it to get a Xorg broke and then you can y see the error : "it is muxed system we don't support it [and I always think they add "go fuck yourself" but this part is mostly my imagination].

Comment

Originally posted by aximab View Post
        Why do they never say that muxed hybrid gpu are not supported ?
        You have to actually try to install it to get a Xorg broke and then you can y see the error : "it is muxed system we don't support it [and I always think they add "go fuck yourself" but this part is mostly my imagination].
        Dealing with MUXed hybrid graphics requires a level of infrastructure and coordination between drivers that's currently lacking in all but the most recent Linux distros. Even in the latest and greatest distros using the open source driver, it's still pretty immature.

Comment

This is true but mostly for closed source drivers.
          But first I was not complaining about the fact they don't support Hybrid but about the fact they let you broke your system and then they tell you "hey by the way we don't support it" and then "oops we have broke your X system" which sounds like "well just go fuck yourself" (sorry for the reiteration).
          Then since most distros who offer you the possibility to install closed sources drivers you will just broke your X and this stands from the beginning of dual gpu...

Second the switching at least for AMD/intel was succesfully supported on open source since 2010 and it works well (except for a recent regression with backlight issue : https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55311).
          So it is a problem with closed source drivers and fine I am happy to used the open source driver ( well not exactly when I try to play a 3d games but thing are [always] improving).

Comment

sadly, they didn't fix the only TF2 bug that won't let me play the game... (at least, according to the release notes): https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...mes/issues/102

Comment

13.4 ... alpha version for me.

Ok, here we go again as it was under 13.3 beta2 ... for example, the Xonotic on AMD APU E-350 [Radeon 6310] shows up to 250 fps ... but the mouse responds in "slow motion" ... You can not play ... challenge is already pressing "close game". Well the same is for example in Counter-Strike: Source, etc.. While 13.3 beta3 work brilliantly and are stable, 13.4 is for me version "alpha".

Comment

Changelog

Great to see a changelog on AMDs website!
                Finally!

* Xorg/Xserver 7.4 and above (up to 1.13)
                * Linux kernel 2.6 or above (up to 3.5)

What's this?
                Doesn't this work with kernel 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8?
                Doesn't this work with X.org Server 1.14 and 1.15?

Comment

A shame AMD doesn't really do proper drivers for linux, it always feels like they just do a bit of minor stuff on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                    Ok, here we go again as it was under 13.3 beta2 ... for example, the Xonotic on AMD APU E-350 [Radeon 6310] shows up to 250 fps ... but the mouse responds in "slow motion" ... You can not play ... challenge is already pressing "close game". Well the same is for example in Counter-Strike: Source, etc.. While 13.3 beta3 work brilliantly and are stable, 13.4 is for me version "alpha".
                    Yes I have similar problems with a Radeon HD 6870. It is a problem in the OpenGL driver, also happens with Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X