Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First X.Org Server 1.15 Snapshot Released

Default First X.Org Server 1.15 Snapshot Released

Phoronix: First X.Org Server 1.15 Snapshot Released

Keith Packard has announced the release of xorg-server 1.14.99.1, the first X.Org Server 1.15 development snapshot ahead of the official release in the second half of 2013...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1ODI

Isn't this release supposed to include xwayland stuff??

Wow already, and AMD still only supports 1.13

Default XWayland

Give us XWayland damnit!
    Hurry up already!

Quote Originally Posted by enfocomp View Post
    Thats why if you want open source drivers...you got Intel. If you want closed source drivers, you go Nvidia. Nvidia typically has same-week support for new X releases and new kernel when necessary.

AMD's OSS driver is....eh though the UVD support does make it more attractive.
    and
    AMD's closed source driver is very slow to support new X releases and new kernels.

I would like to thank Keith and all the other people behind this great project. Thank you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Thats why if you want open source drivers...you got Intel. If you want closed source drivers, you go Nvidia. Nvidia typically has same-week support for new X releases and new kernel when necessary.

AMD's OSS driver is....eh though the UVD support does make it more attractive.
    and
    AMD's closed source driver is very slow to support new X releases and new kernels.
    I agree totally, having a much better experience on my NVIDIA systems over the AMD ones. I can actually use alpha/beta/daily builds and the latest kernels with NVIDIA using their proprietary drivers. It just pains me, the lost potential, because AMD is very comparable to NVIDIA in Windows and usually offers the best "bang-for-the-buck".

i don't understand. isnt xwayland supposed to be merged by October. if they miss the date, then fedora isn't gonna be able to ship wayland by may next year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    i don't understand. isnt xwayland supposed to be merged by October. if they miss the date, then fedora isn't gonna be able to ship wayland by may next year, right?
    Red Hat can always package anything they want in Fedora. It wouldn't be the first distro-specific patches on top of an upstream project.

Quote Originally Posted by enfocomp View Post
    Ha, ha - funny that was my first thought... Well actually it was that AMD Catalyst legacy (2xxx-4xxx series) has yet to even support Xorg 1.13. In fact you can't officially install it on OpenSUSE 12.3 - because that (last time I tried) has no repositories listed for Xorg 1.12 (built against the 12.3 libraries)... Switching to Tumbleweed on OpenSUSE 12.2 and pinning the Xorg packages works - but holds up systemd/udev updates and will break eventually anyway...

My next notebook will have an Nvidia GPU - no matter how much more it costs me!!