Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Flag Linux Does Its First Major Release In Years

Phoronix: Red Flag Linux Does Its First Major Release In Years

Red Flag Linux, a long-standing Chinese Linux distribution that originated within the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1999, has seen its first major release in years. The Red Hat derived Linux distribution now has many modern open-source packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought Red flag was dead and replaced by Kylin, seems like i was wrong.

Comment

That's quite the jump...

Comment

Long time

Wow last release 2009, that is many years.

I hope they contribute upstreams so the rest of us non-Chinese can benefit from this too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I hope they contribute upstreams so the rest of us non-Chinese can benefit from this too.
          I don't think they have much to contribute to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I don't think they have much to contribute to begin with...
            IIRC they do contribute but mainly localization stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Well, the Chinese OEMs at least have been generally GPL compliant lately. There haven't been a new Chinese SoC in the last year or two that hasn't released it's linux\android kernel sources. They don't make much of an effort to mainline though...

Generally speaking, there's a lot of ARM MiniPCs on aliexpress I'm seeing with A31s and RK3188s. So, if I had to guess, I'd say there's government contracts for school classes, administration offices and even servers in the works that specify a preference for Chinese designed\made hardware\software and this is either a real candidate or a threat for foreign contractors to lower the prices.

I'm actually hoping it will take off. If linux gets enough government sanctioned traction in China we'd be seeing drivers for their SoCs. Maybe even not just binary blobs but real code...

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Right. Red Flag Software is also one of Asianux Consortum founders focusing on Asian market mainly China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam and Thailand.

Comment

I wonder if gNewSense will be the next distro to crawl out of 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                    Well, the Chinese OEMs at least have been generally GPL compliant lately. There haven't been a new Chinese SoC in the last year or two that hasn't released it's linux\android kernel sources. They don't make much of an effort to mainline though...

Generally speaking, there's a lot of ARM MiniPCs on aliexpress I'm seeing with A31s and RK3188s. So, if I had to guess, I'd say there's government contracts for school classes, administration offices and even servers in the works that specify a preference for Chinese designed\made hardware\software and this is either a real candidate or a threat for foreign contractors to lower the prices.

I'm actually hoping it will take off. If linux gets enough government sanctioned traction in China we'd be seeing drivers for their SoCs. Maybe even not just binary blobs but real code...
                    Oh wow, that's quite a leap there.

Most of the time, they don't release anything. Sometimes OEMS's 'release' or rather leak some stuff. The A31* btw is a horrible CPU and won't ever be truly supported since it features a PowerVR GPU. Ask phoronix how that is ... The A20 however should be an awesome SoC, like it's little brother, the A10.

Allwinner actually did leak their entire git tree (by accident?) so that's a major win for us users TRYING to get stuff rewritten and mainlined. So while they do certainly try a little harder, it's not by much. That said, most of the dumps usually don't even build or have other issues. It's a miracle those dumps actually do work internally for them, as it's a horrible mess most of the time.

For more info, check out http://linux-sunxi.org

Comment

Working...
                    X