Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gears On Gallium Still Grinding The Latest Mesa

Phoronix: Gears On Gallium Still Grinding The Latest Mesa

Gears On Gallium continues to be maintained as an experimental live Linux distribution based upon openSUSE that's shipping the very latest open-source Linux graphics driver packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It actually looks vastly better for my Radeon 7000 than F19 Alpha !

Comment

In fact, the independent Gears on Gallium continues to make great use of the Phoronix Test Suite for delivering numerous independent Linux GPU benchmarks.
      It also makes great use of the openSUSE build service and the SUSE Studio.

Comment

Does anyone know if this supports UVD for ATI video cards?
        I am keen to try out UVD and see if it works for my machine, however I don't want to do this on my live running media PC.
        This seems like a nice easy way to give it a shot.

Things that it needs are provided here:
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by ptarcher View Post
          Does anyone know if this supports UVD for ATI video cards?]
          Gears on Gallium 2013.04.22 doesn't support UVD.
          But i made Gears on Gallium 2013.04.25-UVD with kernel 3.9-rc5-linux-next201230424, now I upload it to the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
            But i made Gears on Gallium 2013.04.25-UVD with kernel 3.9-rc5-linux-next201230424, now I upload it to the server.
            Cool, downloading now. I'll give it a go over the weekend.
            Thankyou

Comment

It worked perfectly! 1080p video, High def, with 30% CPU.
              Normally the show starts to jitter after about 10 minutes of playback, but this worked beautifully!

Now to upgrade my MediaPC without breaking it. Thankyou for do these builds.
              The video card is an onboard
              01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 [Radeon HD 4250]

Comment

How can I use it on my desktop? Jast add you repoes and when install kernel, mesa, libdrm, video-ati (my card based on r710), or anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Galiav View Post
                  How can I use it on my desktop? Jast add you repoes and when install kernel, mesa, libdrm, video-ati (my card based on r710), or anything else?
                  This 3.9-rc5-linux-next201230424 kernel i build locally, and have only 12.3 i686 package, If you want I can share it.
                  mesa, libdrm, video-ati available here http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...ntostroy:/X11/
                  kernel firmware http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/

Comment

This 3.9-rc5-linux-next201230424 kernel i build locally, and have only 12.3 i686 package, If you want I can share it.
                    Of course! It was would great! And what about drm-next repo?

Comment

Working...
                    X