Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    golden = optimal
    @GreatEmerald: You can set other ones or in the same ones in a different order and things will still more or less work. But these are the registers that the hardware team themselves have said "Set these registers in this order and everything will work exactly how it should."

I say 'more or less work' because of the comment above about 'stranger behavior' or 'bugs' on certain cards. Its very possible that some or all of the card specific bugs the FOSS teams have hit are simply because registers are being plugged in the wrong order and hitting unknown and untested register configurations. If thats the case, then using these -correct- registers should automatically fix those bugs.

Clearer now?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      That's good to know. Though I'm still curious, what exactly makes those registers "golden"?
      It's the values that are "golden", not the registers.

We call them golden because the HW team calls them golden
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        @GreatEmerald: You can set other ones or in the same ones in a different order and things will still more or less work. But these are the registers that the hardware team themselves have said "Set these registers in this order and everything will work exactly how it should."

I say 'more or less work' because of the comment above about 'stranger behavior' or 'bugs' on certain cards. Its very possible that some or all of the card specific bugs the FOSS teams have hit are simply because registers are being plugged in the wrong order and hitting unknown and untested register configurations. If thats the case, then using these -correct- registers should automatically fix those bugs.

Clearer now?
        Yeap, thanks. Sounds like a nice change.

Comment

So to get these golden registers.. will it be necessary to wait for kernel 3.10 or will an update to Xorg-edgers be sufficient? Might these golden registers fix choppy desktop effects on RS880/integrated 4250?

Comment

Originally posted by Globule View Post
            So to get these golden registers.. will it be necessary to wait for kernel 3.10 or will an update to Xorg-edgers be sufficient? Might these golden registers fix choppy desktop effects on RS880/integrated 4250?
            They only apply to r7xx asics and above so your asic is not affected. I doubt they will make a significant difference in performance. It sounds to me like you are hitting a slow path in the 3D driver. You'd probably have better luck updating to a newer version of the 3D driver. Note that some desktop environments default to picking MSAA visuals which use a huge amount of memory and bandwidth. I suspect you are seeing some variant of:

Comment

Working...
            X