Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Is Testing Out Radeon, Nouveau, Intel Graphics

Phoronix: Fedora Is Testing Out Radeon, Nouveau, Intel Graphics

Fedora developers are running another "Graphics Test Week" and are seeking your help in evaluating the open-source Intel, Radeon, and Nouveau graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

there should be an easy way to disable nouveau at boot time. I wasted a whole day and still it loads up. Blacklisting has no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      there should be an easy way to disable nouveau at boot time. I wasted a whole day and still it loads up. Blacklisting has no effect.
      on the livecd thats impossible (as far as I know) because file edits arent persistent. On a normal installation i know theres a way to boot into VESA mode, and blaklisting nouveau is as easy as dropping a 'blacklist nouveau' into I think... /etc/modprove.conf.d/blacklist.conf
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Installing the proprietary NVidia driver should disable Nouveau. If not, report the bug.

Comment

i wanna do it on a live cd. it says that doing it in grub should get the job done. another stupid question. is there a generic x.org driver for efi? i know about efifb but that doesn't give you GUI, right?

Comment

to get webgl to function under ubuntu I had to install mesautils and bunch of other shit

Vaapi something something by intel also helped performance immensely

seems like the intel 'driver' has a bunch of components spread all over the place... bu the ubuntu devs actually red the posts and fixed that so now intel gfx work flawlessly in u13.04

I hope that fedora devs did the same... would love to test it but this alpha seems to be non existant

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              seems like the intel 'driver' has a bunch of components spread all over the place... bu the ubuntu devs actually red the posts and fixed that so now intel gfx work flawlessly in u13.04

I hope that fedora devs did the same... would love to test it but this alpha seems to be non existant
              Alpha wasn't required for testing since Fedora makes available specific images for testing days however alpha has now been released as well

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You shouldn't assume developers will read posts in random forums and fix bugs and it is very unlikely that happens much. Instead use the relevant bug tracking systems.

Comment

i wanna do it on a live cd. it says that doing it in grub should get the job done. another stupid question. is there a generic x.org driver for efi? i know about efifb but that doesn't give you GUI, right?
                No idea about EFI, but for livecd's try....

You can blacklist a module using the following syntax: module_name.blacklist=yes. This will cause the module to be blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local both during the installation and for the installed system.
                from: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...oot-parms.html

and see what happens
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

pallidus: VA-API is purely for video playback acceleration; it shouldn't affect any other aspect of performance. F19 Alpha is being released today, but the graphics test day pages have links to live images for this specific event.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    No idea about EFI, but for livecd's try....

from: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...oot-parms.html

and see what happens
                    thanks for the help. I tried what the guide says but lspci -k says that i'm using both nvidiafb and nouveau. could be lspci simply be wrong? I assume you work with the x.org guys. just ask kevin my efi question when he's not too busy

Comment

Working...
                    X