Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.9 Kernel Delayed By One Week; 3.8-rc8 Released

Phoronix: Linux 3.9 Kernel Delayed By One Week; 3.8-rc8 Released

While it looked like the Linux 3.9 kernel would be released this weekend, a 3.9-rc8 release was warranted and is out this Sunday evening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still not as serious as the delay of FreeBSD 9.1 and it's packages or as a matter of fact, all of FreeBSD's release delays

Comment

Michael, you might want to fix the post title. It is the 3.9-rc8 kernel, not 3.8-rc8.

Comment

Right, 3.9 rc8 seems better Well i did not have got huge issues with rc7, however with rc6 on 32 bit i had lots of those PAE errors while using Google Chrome - this seems to be fixed.

Comment

Oh snap! Is this the first time they've set a kernel back to RC status after 8 point releases?

Comment

I think there were at least a couple of releases with 9 RCs - 2.6.28 and 3.1 for example.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
              Oh snap! Is this the first time they've set a kernel back to RC status after 8 point releases?
              Does it matter? It is a well-known fact that every kernel release comes with its own set of 'little issues' that eventually add up to significantly large issues, so anything that helps to whittle down this list of 'little issues' is something to be welcomed.

And if you are wondering why I take such a laid-back approach with regards to kernel release dates, perhaps I should reveal that I'm STILL feeling bitter over the fact that the devs who worked on the Ralink wireless drivers allowed broken drivers to be shipped from v2.6.31 all the darned way to v2.6.36 where any Ralink network device (be it USB or PCI) would always fail to authenticate with any access point secured with WPA2, either via NetworkManager or by the old-fashioned wpa_supplicant style. That basically forced me to compile my own 2.6.30 kernel (Mandriva 2010 shipped with 2.6.31) for the very first time in order to get proper wireless networking back.

Comment

*whoosh* by the two above posters, see the post by a2r-l

Comment

Working...
                X