Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

Phoronix: Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

One week after a desktop developer meet-up, the lead developer of the KWin window manager, Martin Gr??lin, has written about the history of using KDE/KWin on the Wayland Display Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly, if it were anyone but Canonical, people would be laughing Mir off as a pointless side project. I wish them well, since their failure would certainly hurt the credibility of Linux in the public view. I can't wait until the dust settles on this one- it seems like the ecosystem was so stable, even with KDE 4. Then everything just... exploded, and we're still waiting for it to calm down. I get the feeling it won't any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
      Honestly, if it were anyone but Canonical, people would be laughing Mir off as a pointless side project. I wish them well, since their failure would certainly hurt the credibility of Linux in the public view. I can't wait until the dust settles on this one- it seems like the ecosystem was so stable, even with KDE 4. Then everything just... exploded, and we're still waiting for it to calm down. I get the feeling it won't any time soon.
      The blog was not about Canonical. I think it was more targeted against media which indicated that kde was choosing support wayland fist after the MIR project was announced. Martin emphasized they have worked with wayland preparation a long time before mir was announced and there long term goal has not changed because of MIR.

Comment

KDE on Wayland can't come fast enough. Sick of X.

Comment

I for some reason have Wayland installed when I never asked for it to be. I'm not using the open source driver either. I'm using Arch with KDE and wayland just one day decided it wanted to be installed.. I will unquestionably remove X from my system when the catalyst drivers support wayland. While some of you are rolling your eyes at that thinking "so, you'll never switch?", the thing is the catalyst devs focus on the needs of linux workstations, not linux gamers. I feel as though workstation programs will work on wayland sooner than games. I'm sure once wayland picks up on the last few fundamental features, it'll be a focus of either AMD or Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I for some reason have Wayland installed when I never asked for it to be. I'm not using the open source driver either. I'm using Arch with KDE and wayland just one day decided it wanted to be installed.. I will unquestionably remove X from my system when the catalyst drivers support wayland. While some of you are rolling your eyes at that thinking "so, you'll never switch?", the thing is the catalyst devs focus on the needs of linux workstations, not linux gamers. I feel as though workstation programs will work on wayland sooner than games. I'm sure once wayland picks up on the last few fundamental features, it'll be a focus of either AMD or Nvidia.

just check the "depended on by" list for the wayland package to see what pulled it in
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Mesa pulls it in these days, from what I've noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                Mesa pulls it in these days, from what I've noticed.
                just checked, both mesa ans gtk3 have explicit dependencies on wayland
                Last edited by Ericg; 22 April 2013, 11:04 AM.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  The blog was not about Canonical. I think it was more targeted against media which indicated that kde was choosing support wayland fist after the MIR project was announced. Martin emphasized they have worked with wayland preparation a long time before mir was announced and there long term goal has not changed because of MIR.
                  Some people are simply too stupid to check Wikipedia first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...anned_adoption

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  just checked, both mesa ans gtk3 have explicit dependencies on wayland
                  Sounds more like broken packaging rather than actual dependencies on Wayland. At least under openSUSE 12.3 neither GTK nor Mesa installs Wayland by default (although Wayland 1.0.3 is present in the default repos).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Some people are simply too stupid to check Wikipedia first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...anned_adoption

Sounds more like broken packaging rather than actual dependencies on Wayland. At least under openSUSE 12.3 neither GTK nor Mesa installs Wayland by default (although Wayland 1.0.3 is present in the default repos).
                    I think their libegl is linked to wayland. They probably has their libegl in the mesa package. It's mean big bunch of computer today has wayland installed.
                    Last edited by Akka; 22 April 2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X