Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,387

    Default Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

    Phoronix: Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

    One week after a desktop developer meet-up, the lead developer of the KWin window manager, Martin Grlin, has written about the history of using KDE/KWin on the Wayland Display Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1Njc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Honestly, if it were anyone but Canonical, people would be laughing Mir off as a pointless side project. I wish them well, since their failure would certainly hurt the credibility of Linux in the public view. I can't wait until the dust settles on this one- it seems like the ecosystem was so stable, even with KDE 4. Then everything just... exploded, and we're still waiting for it to calm down. I get the feeling it won't any time soon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Honestly, if it were anyone but Canonical, people would be laughing Mir off as a pointless side project. I wish them well, since their failure would certainly hurt the credibility of Linux in the public view. I can't wait until the dust settles on this one- it seems like the ecosystem was so stable, even with KDE 4. Then everything just... exploded, and we're still waiting for it to calm down. I get the feeling it won't any time soon.
    The blog was not about Canonical. I think it was more targeted against media which indicated that kde was choosing support wayland fist after the MIR project was announced. Martin emphasized they have worked with wayland preparation a long time before mir was announced and there long term goal has not changed because of MIR.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    173

    Default

    KDE on Wayland can't come fast enough. Sick of X.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    I for some reason have Wayland installed when I never asked for it to be. I'm not using the open source driver either. I'm using Arch with KDE and wayland just one day decided it wanted to be installed.. I will unquestionably remove X from my system when the catalyst drivers support wayland. While some of you are rolling your eyes at that thinking "so, you'll never switch?", the thing is the catalyst devs focus on the needs of linux workstations, not linux gamers. I feel as though workstation programs will work on wayland sooner than games. I'm sure once wayland picks up on the last few fundamental features, it'll be a focus of either AMD or Nvidia.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I for some reason have Wayland installed when I never asked for it to be. I'm not using the open source driver either. I'm using Arch with KDE and wayland just one day decided it wanted to be installed.. I will unquestionably remove X from my system when the catalyst drivers support wayland. While some of you are rolling your eyes at that thinking "so, you'll never switch?", the thing is the catalyst devs focus on the needs of linux workstations, not linux gamers. I feel as though workstation programs will work on wayland sooner than games. I'm sure once wayland picks up on the last few fundamental features, it'll be a focus of either AMD or Nvidia.

    just check the "depended on by" list for the wayland package to see what pulled it in

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Mesa pulls it in these days, from what I've noticed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    Mesa pulls it in these days, from what I've noticed.
    just checked, both mesa ans gtk3 have explicit dependencies on wayland
    Last edited by Ericg; 04-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    The blog was not about Canonical. I think it was more targeted against media which indicated that kde was choosing support wayland fist after the MIR project was announced. Martin emphasized they have worked with wayland preparation a long time before mir was announced and there long term goal has not changed because of MIR.
    Some people are simply too stupid to check Wikipedia first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...anned_adoption

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    just checked, both mesa ans gtk3 have explicit dependencies on wayland
    Sounds more like broken packaging rather than actual dependencies on Wayland. At least under openSUSE 12.3 neither GTK nor Mesa installs Wayland by default (although Wayland 1.0.3 is present in the default repos).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Some people are simply too stupid to check Wikipedia first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...anned_adoption



    Sounds more like broken packaging rather than actual dependencies on Wayland. At least under openSUSE 12.3 neither GTK nor Mesa installs Wayland by default (although Wayland 1.0.3 is present in the default repos).
    I think their libegl is linked to wayland. They probably has their libegl in the mesa package. It's mean big bunch of computer today has wayland installed.
    Last edited by Akka; 04-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •