Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

Default Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

Phoronix: Talking About Wayland Support On KDE's KWin

One week after a desktop developer meet-up, the lead developer of the KWin window manager, Martin Grlin, has written about the history of using KDE/KWin on the Wayland Display Server...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1Njc

Honestly, if it were anyone but Canonical, people would be laughing Mir off as a pointless side project. I wish them well, since their failure would certainly hurt the credibility of Linux in the public view. I can't wait until the dust settles on this one- it seems like the ecosystem was so stable, even with KDE 4. Then everything just... exploded, and we're still waiting for it to calm down. I get the feeling it won't any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    Honestly, if it were anyone but Canonical, people would be laughing Mir off as a pointless side project. I wish them well, since their failure would certainly hurt the credibility of Linux in the public view. I can't wait until the dust settles on this one- it seems like the ecosystem was so stable, even with KDE 4. Then everything just... exploded, and we're still waiting for it to calm down. I get the feeling it won't any time soon.
    The blog was not about Canonical. I think it was more targeted against media which indicated that kde was choosing support wayland fist after the MIR project was announced. Martin emphasized they have worked with wayland preparation a long time before mir was announced and there long term goal has not changed because of MIR.

KDE on Wayland can't come fast enough. Sick of X.

I for some reason have Wayland installed when I never asked for it to be. I'm not using the open source driver either. I'm using Arch with KDE and wayland just one day decided it wanted to be installed.. I will unquestionably remove X from my system when the catalyst drivers support wayland. While some of you are rolling your eyes at that thinking "so, you'll never switch?", the thing is the catalyst devs focus on the needs of linux workstations, not linux gamers. I feel as though workstation programs will work on wayland sooner than games. I'm sure once wayland picks up on the last few fundamental features, it'll be a focus of either AMD or Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I for some reason have Wayland installed when I never asked for it to be. I'm not using the open source driver either. I'm using Arch with KDE and wayland just one day decided it wanted to be installed.. I will unquestionably remove X from my system when the catalyst drivers support wayland. While some of you are rolling your eyes at that thinking "so, you'll never switch?", the thing is the catalyst devs focus on the needs of linux workstations, not linux gamers. I feel as though workstation programs will work on wayland sooner than games. I'm sure once wayland picks up on the last few fundamental features, it'll be a focus of either AMD or Nvidia.

just check the "depended on by" list for the wayland package to see what pulled it in

Mesa pulls it in these days, from what I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    Mesa pulls it in these days, from what I've noticed.
    just checked, both mesa ans gtk3 have explicit dependencies on wayland
    Last edited by Ericg; 04-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    The blog was not about Canonical. I think it was more targeted against media which indicated that kde was choosing support wayland fist after the MIR project was announced. Martin emphasized they have worked with wayland preparation a long time before mir was announced and there long term goal has not changed because of MIR.
    Some people are simply too stupid to check Wikipedia first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...anned_adoption

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    just checked, both mesa ans gtk3 have explicit dependencies on wayland
    Sounds more like broken packaging rather than actual dependencies on Wayland. At least under openSUSE 12.3 neither GTK nor Mesa installs Wayland by default (although Wayland 1.0.3 is present in the default repos).

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Some people are simply too stupid to check Wikipedia first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waylan...anned_adoption

Sounds more like broken packaging rather than actual dependencies on Wayland. At least under openSUSE 12.3 neither GTK nor Mesa installs Wayland by default (although Wayland 1.0.3 is present in the default repos).
    I think their libegl is linked to wayland. They probably has their libegl in the mesa package. It's mean big bunch of computer today has wayland installed.
    Last edited by Akka; 04-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.