Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSS R500 Driver Gets Textured Video Too

Phoronix: OSS R500 Driver Gets Textured Video Too

When John Bridgman mentioned at his FOSDEM talk that Textured Video support may be arriving soon, we didn't realize that it would end up being just hours away! Shortly after Alex Deucher had committed R100-400 Textured Video support, David Airlie went ahead and implemented Textured Video support for the R500 series. Furthermore, Rotate support has also been added by David for the R500 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is happening way too fast :]

Comment

Au contraire, faster is better. And it's more important for recent cards like the R500 because they don't have overlay.

---
      Uh, is this correct or am I thinking of nVidia cards?
      Last edited by CrystalCowboy; 25 February 2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalCowboy View Post
        Au contraire, faster is better. And it's more important for recent cards like the R500 because they don't have overlay.

---
        Uh, is this correct or am I thinking of nVidia cards?
        More or less correct. The r5xx and newer radeons have overlays, but they are not really suitable for Xv. They are there mostly for workstation GL overlays.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
          this is happening way too fast :]
          You keep using that word...I don't think it means what you think it means...

As far as I'm concerned, it's still happening too slowly because it's a long time overdue. But I'm NOT complaining, nor am I insisting on having faster unless it can be realistically done.

If we keep having stuff like this happening as quickly as it's happening, I know of a LOT of people that will revisit the "I won't use ATI..." position (And there's a HELL of a lot of Linux users that're holding this position...) as it'll be as good or better than NVidia- and it'll honestly be open.

Comment

This is absolutely awesome. I can't believe that the open source driver was able to get this going, and the proprietary driver still doesn't have support for Xv on the recent chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
              This is absolutely awesome. I can't believe that the open source driver was able to get this going, and the proprietary driver still doesn't have support for Xv on the recent chips.
              fglrx supports Xv on all the recent chips.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Not exactly. On fglrx, Xv output is partially broken on the R5xx cards at the very minimum. I have TexturedVideo enabled in xorg.conf and when video is scaled to fullscreen it looks like someone did a mosaic filter on it, edges are hideously blocky and unacceptable. The OpenGL output works very well, smooth edges as expected, but Xv does not. This behavior is consistent across every video player I have tested... Totem, VLC, Mplayer (latest build), SMplayer, etc.

I'm looking forward to trying out the oss radeon driver as soon as Airlie and company do the next release, to compare.
                Last edited by Porter; 25 February 2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  If you count a massive diagonal tear across your screen properly implemented video playback.

Comment

Originally posted by koolmanoncampus View Post
                    If you count a massive diagonal tear across your screen properly implemented video playback.
                    Interestingly, that occurs on both the Xv output and on OpenGL, though the GL output has improved slightly in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                    X