Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best NAS OS?

I've decided to build my first NAS.
    I've basically laid out what sort of storage I'm looking for (RAID5, starting with 3 WD Reds since I've heard bad things about the Greens in a NAS environment), however I haven't decided what I'm going to run on it yet.
    I was looking at a ZFS solution with FreeNAS, but I've found out that a limitation of ZFS is that once a RAID pool has been made, it's very difficult to add storage, such as an extra HDD or two, to that pool with redundancy.

Can anyone recommend an OS which can do this or a way around that limitation in ZFS?

Thats not difficult, its because ZFS is for datacenters. Datacenters have no problem adding another pool at once.

Use a distribution from the original developer of FreeNas. Its called OpenMediaVault.

Drop him a few bucks if you find it comfortable : ) It really is.

Comment

Originally posted by i386reaper
      Wow!! So you admit that FreeNAS sucks!!

Hot damn!! Straight from a BSD loser's mouth!!
      It's a limitation of ZFS, not FreeBSD.
      I couldn't care less what the OS is based on, it just has to work, which both Linux and the *BSDs are perfectly capable of doing.
      In the mean time, I'm still looking for an easy solution for a way to grow a RAID5 pool without having to create an entirely separate pool.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        It's a limitation of ZFS, not FreeBSD.
        I couldn't care less what the OS is based on, it just has to work, which both Linux and the *BSDs are perfectly capable of doing.
        In the mean time, I'm still looking for an easy solution for a way to grow a RAID5 pool without having to create an entirely separate pool.
        Upgrade to RAID 10, or downgrade to RAID 1.
        RAID 5 is not worth it.

Comment

Working...
        X