Radeon Driver Gets Textured Video (Xv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*sorry for double posting, see below*
    Last edited by whatever; 25 February 2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

this is how texturedvideo looks on my radeon 9700:

how to get rid of the checkboard pattern?

Comment

Ok, here's the results from the Swedish jury :

xvinfo gives:
        Adaptor #1: "Radeon Textured Video"
        port base: 74

for both Metacity and Compiz. So I ran mplayer with
        Code:
        -vo xv:port=74
        Metacity:

Works, as long as the window is not partially covered. Whatever it is that renders the video seems to believe the real window size is equal to the visible window size, rounded down to the nearest 8? 16? pixels, and wraps around each scan line too early which garbles the picture completely.

Roughly twice the cpu usage compared to "ordinary" overlay. There's also an annoying 1px high blueish, broken line along the top of the window, and a greenish line along the bottom to the right.

Compiz:

No picture, just a bunch of "X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)" messages.

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
          Lovely! :-D

I'll give it a try
          I've gave a try, but I get an error during autoconfig
          ./configure: line 20296: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'

tried in ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. I have libXinerama-dev package installed. Where is the XINERAMA macro defined ?

Comment

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
            Ok, here's the results from the Swedish jury :

xvinfo gives:
            Adaptor #1: "Radeon Textured Video"
            port base: 74

for both Metacity and Compiz. So I ran mplayer with
            Code:
            -vo xv:port=74
            Metacity:

Works, as long as the window is not partially covered. Whatever it is that renders the video seems to believe the real window size is equal to the visible window size, rounded down to the nearest 8? 16? pixels, and wraps around each scan line too early which garbles the picture completely.

Roughly twice the cpu usage compared to "ordinary" overlay. There's also an annoying 1px high blueish, broken line along the top of the window, and a greenish line along the bottom to the right.
            As noted in the commit message, there are currently some clipping issues with r300 that I haven't sorted out yet, hence the corruption.

Originally posted by bitnick View Post
            Compiz:

No picture, just a bunch of "X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)" messages.
            Switch to EXA. XAA does not provide a mechanism to migrate pixmaps from system ram to vram.

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
              I've gave a try, but I get an error during autoconfig
              ./configure: line 20296: syntax error near unexpected token `XINERAMA,'

tried in ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. I have libXinerama-dev package installed. Where is the XINERAMA macro defined ?
              I think you need the xserver macros. I'm not sure what the package is called on fedora though.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                I think you need the xserver macros. I'm not sure what the package is called on fedora though.
                I believe that it's xorg-x11-server-sdk.

Comment

Thanks. You were right.

The package is called 'xorg-x11-server-sdk' on Fedora.

Using EXA acceleration works with compiz as advertised, but there is a pink hue on the video. Some colour conversion error? The video plays fine with video overlay (though with the usual problem of not being mapped on the window)

There isn't any measurable performance drop as others have mentioned as well. No difference between compiz and metacity. Both exhibit the same pink hue.

Comment

As noted in the commit message, there are currently some clipping issues with r300 that I haven't sorted out yet, hence the corruption.
                    Ok, I'm not used to git and haven't figured out how to read commit messages yet. Sorry for the noise.

Switch to EXA. XAA does not provide a mechanism to migrate pixmaps from system ram to vram.
                    I'd love to try it out, but unfortunately, for some reason, with AccelMethod=EXA my desktop freezes over (no keyboard or screen updates) when I try to start gnome-terminal, which I usually use to start compiz. (Everything else seems to work fine. Weird.) At the moment I do not have another computer nearby to log in with to check what's going on. Ctrl-Alt-Fx doesn't work, not even SysRq.

I've never really gotten EXA to work; 2D updates like resizing a window is unbearably slow, like 2-3 draws per second. (This is on a R420.) Perhaps we should let others test this, and I'll get back with results if I get EXA going.

Comment

Nice work... Dramatically less CPU usage when playing videos.

In related features anyone know if/when xvMC (or vaapi if that is the new thing) will make its way into the radeon driver?

Comment

Working...
                      X