Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Use Open-Source Radeon UVD On Ubuntu

Phoronix: How-To Use Open-Source Radeon UVD On Ubuntu

With the Radeon DRM changes for Linux 3.10 lining up and including Radeon Unified Video Decoder support, it's becoming easier to take advantage of Radeon UVD-accelerated video playback with AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just packaged mesa 9.1 git+uvd from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ and patched vdpau-video wrapper (for use with vlc) - basically only a few symlinks. I already packaged linux-firmware with uvd and kernel 3.9 rc7 + uvd patches. When mesa is uploaded i could even create iso images that can be used to test xvba (vlc) or vdpau (mplayer+vlc) with mesa+fglrx(gfxdetect mode) if somebody is interested.

With my first tests i missed 1080p50 support (too slow) and a deinterlacer for 1080i50.

Comment

Does the radeon UVD support work with adobe flashplayer-plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Does the radeon UVD support work with adobe flashplayer-plugin?
        Bridgman told me that Tom told him that Christian told Tom to tell Bridgman to tell me that: yes the UVD work will affect Flash
        Last edited by Ericg; 18 April 2013, 04:34 PM. Reason: Made it more recursive.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Well it seems to work partly with Flash 11.2 + Iceweasel/Firefox. Partly because when you want to watch a clip that does not show directly but with a commercial before then Flash just crashes. Chrome + Flash did not seem to enable accellerated decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Bridgman told me that Tom told him that Christian told Tom to tell Bridgman to tell me that: yes the UVD work will affect Flash
            Before Tom starts wondering what the heck is going on, it was Tim not Tom
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Before Tom starts wondering what the heck is going on, it was Tim not Tom
              lol sorry my recursion was off slightly :P
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

To AMD devs,
                XBMC dev fritsch has had mixed results using the OSS UVD [1].
                You guys are probably already in contact but are you able to share any plans for glInterop and deinterlacing features (and HD audio)?

[1] http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...413#pid1400413

Comment

Well only it is not fully correct that only 24p works but 50p is too slow. A bit problematic for me is that mesa 9.1 git now has got a hyperz regression, games like Killing Floor or Team Fortress 2 do only run with "R600_HYPERZ=0 %command%". The older mesa 9.1.0 did not have got this problem (but was not uvd patched). I am sure you find lots of movies that work with vdpau, but you have to play em with mplayer (don't forget the -vc override!).

Comment

Wonderful work guys!

What are the odds on UVD OpenGL3.2 and OpenCL on Gallium3D making it into the fall distro releases?

With Windows8 in the same position that Vista was in it would be pertinent to get these things in order as fast as possible to try and get more systems built around Linux. We almost had a real foothold during Vista, outside of the craptacularness of Unity, Gnome3 and KDE4 things are in a much better position to see Linux take a more main stream place in the market.

Comment

Working...
                    X