Thread: How-To Use Open-Source Radeon UVD On Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Default How-To Use Open-Source Radeon UVD On Ubuntu

Phoronix: How-To Use Open-Source Radeon UVD On Ubuntu

With the Radeon DRM changes for Linux 3.10 lining up and including Radeon Unified Video Decoder support, it's becoming easier to take advantage of Radeon UVD-accelerated video playback with AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDk

I just packaged mesa 9.1 git+uvd from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ and patched vdpau-video wrapper (for use with vlc) - basically only a few symlinks. I already packaged linux-firmware with uvd and kernel 3.9 rc7 + uvd patches. When mesa is uploaded i could even create iso images that can be used to test xvba (vlc) or vdpau (mplayer+vlc) with mesa+fglrx(gfxdetect mode) if somebody is interested.

With my first tests i missed 1080p50 support (too slow) and a deinterlacer for 1080i50.

Does the radeon UVD support work with adobe flashplayer-plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Does the radeon UVD support work with adobe flashplayer-plugin?
    Bridgman told me that Tom told him that Christian told Tom to tell Bridgman to tell me that: yes the UVD work will affect Flash
    Last edited by Ericg; 04-18-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Made it more recursive.

Well it seems to work partly with Flash 11.2 + Iceweasel/Firefox. Partly because when you want to watch a clip that does not show directly but with a commercial before then Flash just crashes. Chrome + Flash did not seem to enable accellerated decoding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Bridgman told me that Tom told him that Christian told Tom to tell Bridgman to tell me that: yes the UVD work will affect Flash
    Before Tom starts wondering what the heck is going on, it was Tim not Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Before Tom starts wondering what the heck is going on, it was Tim not Tom
    lol sorry my recursion was off slightly :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I just packaged mesa 9.1 git+uvd from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ and patched vdpau-video wrapper (for use with vlc) - basically only a few symlinks. I already packaged linux-firmware with uvd and kernel 3.9 rc7 + uvd patches. When mesa is uploaded i could even create iso images that can be used to test xvba (vlc) or vdpau (mplayer+vlc) with mesa+fglrx(gfxdetect mode) if somebody is interested.
    I would appreciate this. This would give me a chance to easily try it out on my mediapc and make sure HD video playback works smoothly on my AMD hardware.

How to add that entry to ld ?

yes, how can I add the entry?O.O