Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The State & Future Of The GNU C Library (GLIBC)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,651

    Default The State & Future Of The GNU C Library (GLIBC)

    Phoronix: The State & Future Of The GNU C LIbrary (GLIBC)

    Red Hat's Carlos O'Donell provided an update this week on the GNU C Library along with some recent and upcoming features for glibc...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Utriusque Siciliae Regnum
    Posts
    48

    Angry It's a real shame! Twice a shame on Red Hat!

    What happened to the plain old English?
    Is everyone quitting the school before being 7?

    (From linked document, slide #3).
    WRONG: Complaints mean that you're project is in use!
    RIGHT: Complaints mean that your project is in use!

    you're: contraction of "you are"
    your: "of, belonging to, or associated with you"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    343

    Default

    O'Donell was quick to admit that glibc faces some criticism as being too slow, not always producing correct behavior, and missing some features.
    Just some REALLY minor problems, that surely won't deter anyone from using the library. [/sarcasm]

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerk2 View Post
    Just some REALLY minor problems, that surely won't deter anyone from using the library. [/sarcasm]
    Care to elaborate on the sarcasm tag?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ghent
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Personally, I find musl libc a very interesting project and I hope to see some desktop-oriented distros built on this library sometime in the near future (there are a couple of distros, but mostly experimental at this stage)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by staalmannen View Post
    Personally, I find musl libc a very interesting project and I hope to see some desktop-oriented distros built on this library sometime in the near future (there are a couple of distros, but mostly experimental at this stage)
    Maybe sometime there be benchmarks and comparisons of these various implementations of the Linux C library? Would also be a good idea for a clean implementation that can be handled by any compiler including LLVM/Clang.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OlegOlegovich View Post
    Care to elaborate on the sarcasm tag?
    Presumably the bit in the quote about "not always producing correct behavior".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    I wonder what happened to bugfix releases. There's only feature releases now. After 2.15 came 2.16 and then 2.17. What happened to stuff like 2.15.1 and 2.15.2, stabilizing on what's already there while not breaking anything? Lack of manpower?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uqbar View Post
    What happened to the plain old English?
    Is everyone quitting the school before being 7?

    (From linked document, slide #3).
    WRONG: Complaints mean that you're project is in use!
    RIGHT: Complaints mean that your project is in use!

    you're: contraction of "you are"
    your: "of, belonging to, or associated with you"
    Seriously, I can't get why people waste time ranting about a minor grammar mistake in a presentation. English is not even
    Odonell mother language. Focus on presentation contents instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •