Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Does Fast Math With MKL On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Does Fast Math With MKL On Linux

Intel's Integrated Performance Primitives (IPP) and their Math Kernel Library (MKL) provide for very fast math operations with modern processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it free software? No source, no party.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Let me guess, this will not work with AMD CPUs? I mean will use FPU only, but not AVX.
      Last edited by leonmaxx; 18 April 2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the last big lawsuit was about that very issue. Since then Intel has been required to read hardware capabilities and issue appropriate code.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          I think you must confirm this form: https://registrationcenter.intel.com...ProductID=1540
          Including giving them your name, address and company. Then I think you receive a license file that you can use for noncommercial use only.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            It's 500$ per dev and build machine, so at least not free as in free beer... probably not as free speech either.

Comment

IPP zlib

Their IPP zlib library is much faster in some circumstances. I think it uses openmp.

Comment

It will run on AMD processors, but be deliberately crippled. I remember reading a benchmark where by hacking the MKL lib and saying your AMD processor is some equivalend Intel one, gets you about 20% improved performance.
                There was a lawsuit, but if it actually result in improved performance for non-Intel processors is unknown by me.

Comment

IIRC the lawsuit was about ICC (the compiler), not one of these libs. Could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    IIRC the lawsuit was about ICC (the compiler), not one of these libs. Could be wrong though.
                    No you're right, ICC would check to see if the CPU was "Intel Genuine" and if it was then you got highly optimized code with whatever extensions it could do. If it wasnt then you got generic assembly with no optimizations.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X