AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Hosted on OpenBenchmarking.org are all the system logs including the glxinfo and people are allowed to go scan those manually, but doesn't make sense to overload the UI with all sorts of GL extensions by default, but a simple build configuration line would be convenient.
    You wouldn't have to overload the UI with all the extensions, just the ones that are in question from time to time (Eg: they may not ALWAYS be available.) and those two would only be s3tc and texture_float which you could capture by running glxinfo | grep "s3tc" ; glxinfo | grep "texture_float."

I completely agree on not declaring EVERY extension that's loaded, but having those 2 explicitly checked and declared would be nice
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      You wouldn't have to overload the UI with all the extensions, just the ones that are in question from time to time (Eg: they may not ALWAYS be available.) and those two would only be s3tc and texture_float which you could capture by running glxinfo | grep "s3tc" ; glxinfo | grep "texture_float."

I completely agree on not declaring EVERY extension that's loaded, but having those 2 explicitly checked and declared would be nice
      For anyone interested in seeing changes, patches always welcome. Particularly if anyone wants to clean-up and make nice information around what I already started with this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA5MDM
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
        Interesting that the 6450 in particular has some anomalies. Anyone possible reason why?
        Seconded.

Otherwise these results are really nice for most parts. Even where it is multiple times behind fglrx the framerate is already playable. It's wonderful to see that project growing. I still remember the times when there was radeonhd which was in the beginning not much more than a slightly better VESA driver. And now we're playing games, having good static PM and better video accel than eve before.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Yep, please investigate the 6450. Not only did it beat Catalyst, it beat more powerful cards in many tests.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Yep, please investigate the 6450. Not only did it beat Catalyst, it beat more powerful cards in many tests.
            Very funny. It's still pwned by an HD 4000 or an A10-5800K's IGP; if you needed to upgrade from an older graphics card, just pick a 6950 which seems to work well with the open source driver, it's not that expensive now.
            Last edited by Calinou; 19 April 2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Finally some benchmarks for my rare HD4770 <3. A pity the HD4xxx series was left unsupported by AMD (even on Windows). That's a shame actually. NVIDIA has considerably better legacy support.
              With those benchmarks however I might reconsider my next graphics card to be from AMD. Only the heat production might still cause headaches...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                Finally some benchmarks for my rare HD4770 <3. A pity the HD4xxx series was left unsupported by AMD (even on Windows). That's a shame actually. NVIDIA has considerably better legacy support.
                With those benchmarks however I might reconsider my next graphics card to be from AMD. Only the heat production might still cause headaches...
                Yes I'm a hd4770 owner to and sure its better to lose 20% of the speed and use a modern Linux distribution instead. Its just not a option to use old Open-Source software only because a buggy and shitty catalyst driver force you to.

So for me the Radeon driver is 10000X times better than the catalyst.

It also saves time to! I just don't care about the catalyst any more.

P.S. for the AMD management: Why I don't buy new HD7000 class hardware and i buy outdated used dx10 class hardware instead ? simple: the Radeon driver is not in a usable status. So AMD(MAD) loses money on Management failure but who cares? I Don't.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                  P.S. for the AMD management: Why I don't buy new HD7000 class hardware and i buy outdated used dx10 class hardware instead ? simple: the Radeon driver is not in a usable status. So AMD(MAD) loses money on Management failure but who cares? I Don't.
                  Well, you are doing them favor. You buy HD4xxx class hardware, that no one else will buy, so you are helping them to get rid of old quantities

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Well, you are doing them favor. You buy HD4xxx class hardware, that no one else will buy, so you are helping them to get rid of old quantities
                    That?s a illusion because you only make real profit with shiny expensive new products.
                    And if you buy used products they don't sell any hardware...

My new computer I bought this month: 8core amd cpu 150? am3+ mainboard 100? and a used hd3850 for 20?.......

AMD CPU division and Chipset division make 250? (sure endconsumer price) on me

AMD-GPU division don't make any money on me and that's for sure!

and this does not mean that i don't need a faster GPU-card... ARMA2 now runs on linux in wine even with the opensource driver but its just hopeless to get "Performance" and the feature level....

A hd7970 just don't work for Arma2 and opensource drivers...

I think I can buy a new card next "year" then the opensource driver works for the hd7000 cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X