Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,894

    Default AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

    Phoronix: AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

    With the ever-changing state of Linux graphics drivers -- both for the open and closed-source drivers -- new tests have been conducted to compare the OpenGL graphics performance on Linux with AMD Radeon graphics. In this article are benchmarks of nine different Radeon HD graphics cards when being tested on the very latest AMD Catalyst (13.3 Beta 3) graphics driver as well as the open-source AMD Radeon driver consisting of Mesa 9.2-devel and the yet-to-be-released Linux 3.9 kernel.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18654

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Interesting that the 6450 in particular has some anomalies. Anyone possible reason why?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Michael, if you tested Vadim's shader optimizer http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vadimg/mesa/log/?h=r600-sb,
    results could have been even better!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    202

    Default

    It would be really great if Michael could maintain a dynamic feature table comparing all the available linux open and closed graphic drivers. Openbenchmarking does this for performance, but, as development is speeding up, it is really hard to know exactly which hardware features are supported on which driver.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    It would be really great if Michael could maintain a dynamic feature table comparing all the available linux open and closed graphic drivers. Openbenchmarking does this for performance, but, as development is speeding up, it is really hard to know exactly which hardware features are supported on which driver.
    But that's what the freedesktop wiki is for.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?
    The default isn't Medium, it's whatever is set in the video cards BIOS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Figueiredo View Post
    It would be really great if Michael could maintain a dynamic feature table comparing all the available linux open and closed graphic drivers. Openbenchmarking does this for performance, but, as development is speeding up, it is really hard to know exactly which hardware features are supported on which driver.
    I think floating point textures/GL3 was disabled, since the specs in the article only mentioned GL2. But S2TC should have been available, since i think Ubuntu ships that by default.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?
    The used frequencies are shown automatically by PTS (when debugfs is readable) in the system table, which are shown on the second page.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I think floating point textures/GL3 was disabled, since the specs in the article only mentioned GL2. But S2TC should have been available, since i think Ubuntu ships that by default.
    texture-float was passed when building Mesa and S2TC is present by default in Ubuntu (sure wish there was a way to automatically parse the Mesa build configuration of the resulting binaries; similar to gcc -v, so that the information could be presented...)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •