Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

Hybrid View

Default AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Gallium3D More Competitive With Catalyst On Linux

With the ever-changing state of Linux graphics drivers -- both for the open and closed-source drivers -- new tests have been conducted to compare the OpenGL graphics performance on Linux with AMD Radeon graphics. In this article are benchmarks of nine different Radeon HD graphics cards when being tested on the very latest AMD Catalyst (13.3 Beta 3) graphics driver as well as the open-source AMD Radeon driver consisting of Mesa 9.2-devel and the yet-to-be-released Linux 3.9 kernel.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18654

Interesting that the 6450 in particular has some anomalies. Anyone possible reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by ModplanMan View Post
    Interesting that the 6450 in particular has some anomalies. Anyone possible reason why?
    Seconded.

Otherwise these results are really nice for most parts. Even where it is multiple times behind fglrx the framerate is already playable. It's wonderful to see that project growing. I still remember the times when there was radeonhd which was in the beginning not much more than a slightly better VESA driver. And now we're playing games, having good static PM and better video accel than eve before.

Yep, please investigate the 6450. Not only did it beat Catalyst, it beat more powerful cards in many tests.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Yep, please investigate the 6450. Not only did it beat Catalyst, it beat more powerful cards in many tests.
    Very funny. It's still pwned by an HD 4000 or an A10-5800K's IGP; if you needed to upgrade from an older graphics card, just pick a 6950 which seems to work well with the open source driver, it's not that expensive now.
    Last edited by Calinou; 04-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Finally some benchmarks for my rare HD4770 <3. A pity the HD4xxx series was left unsupported by AMD (even on Windows). That's a shame actually. NVIDIA has considerably better legacy support.
    With those benchmarks however I might reconsider my next graphics card to be from AMD. Only the heat production might still cause headaches...

Michael, if you tested Vadim's shader optimizer http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vadimg/mesa/log/?h=r600-sb,
    results could have been even better!

Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Maybe I missed it... were the cards running dynpm, medium (default) or high frequencies?
    The default isn't Medium, it's whatever is set in the video cards BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    The used frequencies are shown automatically by PTS (when debugfs is readable) in the system table, which are shown on the second page.