Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

Phoronix: Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

In the discussion about mainlining the new Intel Gallium3D driver for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, the long-standing i915 Gallium3D driver for older Intel hardware was brought out. It turns out that this driver might replace the classic i915 Intel driver as the new default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

In the discussion about mainlining the new Intel Gallium3D driver for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors, the long-standing i915 Gallium3D driver for older Intel hardware was brought out. It turns out that this driver might replace the classic i915 Intel driver as the new default...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDE
    If its actually better, I say go for it. Whatever works the best and is the easiest to maintain
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      If its actually better, I say go for it. Whatever works the best and is the easiest to maintain
      I think it has a few more piglit failures, but it's definitely faster and i don't think anyone who's used the 2 drivers wouldn't choose it over the old one.

Comment

I've switched my wife's laptop from classic to Gallium and back again. The initial switch was because Minecraft didn't run under classic. Eventually we found Gallium to be a little too unstable and by that time, Minecraft was working under classic and it was significantly faster. I'll give Gallium another go but I doubt much has changed since.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I think it has a few more piglit failures, but it's definitely faster and i don't think anyone who's used the 2 drivers wouldn't choose it over the old one.
          Piglit failures can be worked out, probably just buggy code that needs to be fixed and not a like architecture problem

Comment

Wait...... use the gallium version for the older unsupported intel cards or all of them? Becuase I give up if its all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Wait...... use the gallium version for the older unsupported intel cards or all of them? Becuase I give up if its all of them.
              Use the Gallium driver for everything before Sandy Bridge (I think it was Ironlake -> Sandy Bridge). For sandy Bridge and up, use the official intel classic driver. Hopefully enough work will be done by outside companies that eventually the "official" driver can be used as reference and the gallium driver for the new cards can be made default just so everyones on Gallium

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                Intel like AMD have multiple drivers for their different GENERATIONS of GPU's.

i915g is for quite old hardware, for which Intel stopped adding new features.

AMD have r300g, r600g, radeonSI and so on..

Nouveau have just nouveau but they also have different drivers for different generations of hardware (but they more often use chipset names)

Comment

As an owner of one of those chips, I'd just like to add a yes please! .

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Use the Gallium driver for everything before Sandy Bridge (I think it was Ironlake -> Sandy Bridge). For sandy Bridge and up, use the official intel classic driver. Hopefully enough work will be done by outside companies that eventually the "official" driver can be used as reference and the gallium driver for the new cards can be made default just so everyones on Gallium
                    Please don't answer if you're not sure. (Maybe being sure is the actual problem)

The i915g driver is for Gen3 hardware. Gen4, 5 (Ironlake), 6 (Sandy Bridge), 7 (Ivy Bridge), et al. is i965 and isn't supported by i915{c,g}.

Comment

Working...
                    X