Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager's ModemManager Now Speaks MBIM

Phoronix: NetworkManager's ModemManager Now Speaks MBIM

ModemManager, the component of NetworkManager for dealing with mobile broadband devices and other modem hardware, now has support for the new MBIM protocol...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huh, you still need modems for mobile internet? Well, I suppose it makes sense, given that it's used on devices that are connected via phone to the carriers already. Otherwise, modems are a relic of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Huh, you still need modems for mobile internet? Well, I suppose it makes sense, given that it's used on devices that are connected via phone to the carriers already. Otherwise, modems are a relic of the past.
      You do know that any radio communication require a modem to MOdulate and DEModulate the signal you want to send and receive from a digital device, has radio waves are analog signal. So without a modem you got no wifi for example.
      Last edited by iniudan; 17 April 2013, 01:42 PM. Reason: had used words communicat* a bit too often, so just reformulated

Comment

You might be confusing mobile internet (on a phone) with mobile broadband (standalone device/modem)
        Last edited by zeealpal; 17 April 2013, 05:30 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary potential insult.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
          You do know that any radio communication require a modem to MOdulate and DEModulate the signal you want to send and receive from a digital device, has radio waves are analog signal. So without a modem you got no wifi for example.
          Yes, but those are not the same modem devices that were used for dial-up. They don't dial anything.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
            You might be confusing mobile internet (on a phone) with mobile broadband (standalone device/modem)
            No I am not, a modem is software or hardware that take care of demodulating analog signal into digital one or modulating a digital one into analog, which mean it something every digital wireless device have, has electromagnetic radiation we use for wireless communication is analog. So it not just for phone communication like the one, I was replying to, was saying, has wifi also need one for example.

Yes, but those are not the same modem devices that were used for dial-up. They don't dial anything.
            So what ? What I was describing is still a modem, I was just trying to enlighten you on what a modem actually is, has you seemed to misunderstand why they still existed, has you seemed to think it was restricted to telephone communication in your original post, thus maybe should have been deprecated from what I understood.
            Last edited by iniudan; 17 April 2013, 06:37 PM. Reason: to prevent double post combined a second post

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
              No I am not, a modem is software...
              My post wasn't to you?

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
                My post wasn't to you?
                Just a moment of stupidity on my part I guess, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X