Thread: NetworkManager's ModemManager Now Speaks MBIM

Default NetworkManager's ModemManager Now Speaks MBIM

Phoronix: NetworkManager's ModemManager Now Speaks MBIM

ModemManager, the component of NetworkManager for dealing with mobile broadband devices and other modem hardware, now has support for the new MBIM protocol...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDA

Huh, you still need modems for mobile internet? Well, I suppose it makes sense, given that it's used on devices that are connected via phone to the carriers already. Otherwise, modems are a relic of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Huh, you still need modems for mobile internet? Well, I suppose it makes sense, given that it's used on devices that are connected via phone to the carriers already. Otherwise, modems are a relic of the past.
    You do know that any radio communication require a modem to MOdulate and DEModulate the signal you want to send and receive from a digital device, has radio waves are analog signal. So without a modem you got no wifi for example.
    Last edited by iniudan; 04-17-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: had used words communicat* a bit too often, so just reformulated

You might be confusing mobile internet (on a phone) with mobile broadband (standalone device/modem)
    Last edited by zeealpal; 04-17-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary potential insult.

Quote Originally Posted by iniudan View Post
    You do know that any radio communication require a modem to MOdulate and DEModulate the signal you want to send and receive from a digital device, has radio waves are analog signal. So without a modem you got no wifi for example.
    Yes, but those are not the same modem devices that were used for dial-up. They don't dial anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    You might be confusing mobile internet (on a phone) with mobile broadband (standalone device/modem)
    No I am not, a modem is software or hardware that take care of demodulating analog signal into digital one or modulating a digital one into analog, which mean it something every digital wireless device have, has electromagnetic radiation we use for wireless communication is analog. So it not just for phone communication like the one, I was replying to, was saying, has wifi also need one for example.

Yes, but those are not the same modem devices that were used for dial-up. They don't dial anything.
    So what ? What I was describing is still a modem, I was just trying to enlighten you on what a modem actually is, has you seemed to misunderstand why they still existed, has you seemed to think it was restricted to telephone communication in your original post, thus maybe should have been deprecated from what I understood.
    Last edited by iniudan; 04-17-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: to prevent double post combined a second post

Quote Originally Posted by iniudan View Post
    No I am not, a modem is software...
    My post wasn't to you?

Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    My post wasn't to you?
    Just a moment of stupidity on my part I guess, sorry.