Mir Display Server Now Uses XKB Common

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    If the toolkits and libraries like GTK+ and Qt support both Wayland and Mir, it would be pretty easy to target either platform by simply updating the relevant toolkit code in your program to one that supports both.
    My point was that there are applications that don't use these toolkits or libaries. If these applications are propietary then there isn't much else you can do except built some sort of compatibility layer, ugly stuff.

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    However, the less than enthusiastic response from the Qt, GTK+ and EFL camps regarding supporting Mir upstream will only serve to exacerbate the fragmentation problem rather than remedy it.
    I don't see how. It would be terribly unfortuante if developers got the idea that Mir is somehow accepted standard or anything other than a propietary API for Ubuntu operaiting system. However I still don't think any of the major toolkits will reject Mir backends, it's just that probably no other compositor will implement the Mir protocol.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        However I still don't think any of the major toolkits will reject Mir backends
        Well, accepting code upstream means risking to have to maintain it, which the major toolkits aren't very found of for any random platform. It is very likely that Mir backends will be supported by Canonical only, and not be merged in upstream toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Thanks for sharing, but that wasn't what I asked.
          The point is that the majority of people that tries a linux distro is because it's free and if it works with their hardware they will keep it. Most people I know have started using linux because of it been free. On the youngster community it wasn't taken seriously because of it's lack in gaming support, but that have started to change with steam.

Anyways a study on why people started using linux would be interesting I bet many people do because of its cost

So combine zero cost, ease of use and install, and applications to make what they want, thats the point of cross-platform development, so people can test applications on there OS of choice, and later they can opt to switch OS with the confident of still having their apps

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            The point is that the majority of people that tries a linux distro is because it's free and if it works with their hardware they will keep it.
            Again: What kind of survey, poll, study, investigation or tea-leaf reading have you conducted? Do you have any statistics to back that up?

Most people I know have started using linux because of it been free.
            Ok. How many people do you know? 10? 100? Let's say 100 to be generous. How many people there are in total who use Linux? Millions. Maybe over a hundred million. So why do you think you can extrapolate from "most people I know" to "majority of all people"?

On the youngster community it wasn't taken seriously because of it's lack in gaming support, but that have started to change with steam.
            What is "the youngster community"?

Comment

Got any hard data on that? Have you conducted any kind of statistically significant survey, poll, investigation or questionnaire for Linux users?

And if the answer to either question is no, how could you possibly be qualified to make any kind of assumptions about the reasons why people try Linux?
              I have enough data from my personal experience, but it's true that I spend most of my time with the "casual" users...

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                Well, accepting code upstream means risking to have to maintain it, which the major toolkits aren't very found of for any random platform. It is very likely that Mir backends will be supported by Canonical only, and not be merged in upstream toolkits.
                As long Canonical maintain the backends, it's probably no problem for them to get them upstream in gtk and qt. Rim has as I understand it the blackberry backend merged upstream in qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                  I have enough data from my personal experience, but it's true that I spend most of my time with the "casual" users...
                  Plural of anecdote is not data.

Which means: Your personal experience cannot be extrapolated to make conclusions about all people. The sample size is simply too small.

Comment

Plural of anecdote is not data.

Which means: Your personal experience cannot be extrapolated to make conclusions about all people. The sample size is simply too small.
                    It seems to be picky-time, so I'll say:
                    The sample size is enough, the problem is that the sample has not been taken randomly in the full population set.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      It seems to be picky-time, so I'll say:
                      The sample size is enough, the problem is that the sample has not been taken randomly in the full population set.
                      10-100 people isn't a sufficient sample size for a population of 10-100 million. Also, sample size isn't the only problem with personal experience. There's also the problem of confirmation bias.

Comment

Working...
                      X