Which Distro? Which DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Distro? Which DE?

HELP?!? I have tried, Mint, Debian, Ubuntu/Kubuntu.... I am most familiar with KDE but recently tried to upgrade Kubuntu and there's constant seg faults and Muon bugs. KDE is a joke. It was okay when it was 3.5 but it keeps getting worse.

I thought of going back to Debian but then which DE to use? Ugh, Gnome is their default?!? :-(

I tried Mint but didn't really like the devs or the atmosphere there. Cinnamon and MATE isn't bad. But, I'd have to get used to a new DE. Well, I dunno.

Debian is just a lot of work to set up and it's not polished.

What/Which DE is your favourite and why?

(Sorry, but, I'm not going to Fedora (I actually thought Fedora wasn't too bad but...) or Gentoo or Arch or anything like that, sorry.)

When Windows is getting worse, how come all the DEs have to deteriorate at the same time?!?

you deservedly got no replies...oh, oops...

Comment

Originally posted by devsk View Post
      you deservedly got no replies...oh, oops...
      Oh, I didn't know you cared....

I think I'll ask for the thread to be deleted now. Just so your post is removed.

Comment

I am very happy with openSUSE, but it would surprise me, if that would solve your problems.

If youre gonna install a different distro, every-time you run into a problem, you'll keep installing other distro's.

KDE a joke ? not on my system.

I do have some problems, but I yet have to see the first crach of Linux. (openSUSE 12.3)

Comment

The distribution that I use is Calculate Linux and it is Gentoo based. I am sorry you do not like Gentoo. I use Xfce, but it closely resembles Gnome which you do not like either. If you want something eye candy, you are not going to get it out of me because I like the minimal look of Xfce. I have Composite turned off and I do not use Compiz. I use Gentoo because it is easy for me to use "binary blobs" compared to other distributions like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

People that keep on installing Linux because they run into problems really need to examine if they are technical person or just using computers. If you just use computer, use Windows or Mac. Just a tip, stop running away from your computer problems and start learning how to use a computer by correcting problems. Windows and Mac are going to have problems and you will have to fix it yourself. A lot of the problems it is the user's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
            People that keep on installing Gentoo because they run into problems really need to examine if they are technical person or just using computers. If you just use computer, use Ubuntu.
            Corrected that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
              The distribution that I use is Calculate Linux and it is Gentoo based. I am sorry you do not like Gentoo. I use Xfce, but it closely resembles Gnome which you do not like either. If you want something eye candy, you are not going to get it out of me because I like the minimal look of Xfce. I have Composite turned off and I do not use Compiz. I use Gentoo because it is easy for me to use "binary blobs" compared to other distributions like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

People that keep on installing Linux because they run into problems really need to examine if they are technical person or just using computers. If you just use computer, use Windows or Mac. Just a tip, stop running away from your computer problems and start learning how to use a computer by correcting problems. Windows and Mac are going to have problems and you will have to fix it yourself. A lot of the problems it is the user's fault.
              I like to think of myself somewhat technical at least. I can research and/or do a google search. Hey, I am even able to figure out how to post to a forum!

Well, I was running Debian sid but the maintenance was a bit time-consuming or I'd run into an issue which led me to a decision that my time was better spent just re-installing. I decided to use a partition and install Kubuntu 12.10 which was upgraded to 13.04. I have a like/hate (no, not love) relationship with KDE. Some things I like about it and some things, drive me bonkers. Currently, I am having some crashes in which the entire system is crippled. The latest crash had everything frozen except the mouse.

I ran into this before with Debian (using KDE). It's been a long time since I used Debian with XFCE but there were some issues. However, I did like that it was a lot lighter and not as bloated. Maybe, I'll look at it again. I suppose one can tweak kde and disable various settings to streamline it a bit but even if you leave it at the defaults, I don't think it should be that easy to crash?

Edit: I didn't mind gnome. That's why I used Linux Mint for a little while since they offered Cinnamon and MATE as default DEs.
              Last edited by Panix; 26 April 2013, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X