Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Radeon DRM Pull For Linux 3.10

Phoronix: The First Radeon DRM Pull For Linux 3.10

AMD's Alex Deucher has sent in the first Radeon DRM driver pull request for early Linux 3.10 kernel changes to be merged into the drm-next repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm hoping that those new things are RS780/880 UVD.... power consumption is already sufficiently manageable to get way better battery life than wondoze, and performance is already good enough to disable the discrete chip in a dual-graphics APU laptop.

Comment

See I have a situation where I have a 1280x1024 screen pugged into a 4200 on-board gpu, which I use for pretty nothing else than to watch videos. Which it does fine. I havent really tried playing hd back on it simply because the monitor isnt anywhere close to hd resolution. Still I would love to have UVD support on this chip simply for the power savings. I'd be willing to bet money that the 4200 is going to produce less heat decoding a video with UVD than the CPU will to decode the same thing.

I also have a 1680x1050 screen plugged into a 6850 that I primarily use for gaming. I've been playing Eve Online through wine for a couple weeks now and the experience has been pretty dang good. There is some pretty annoying frame drops when undocking and when going into warp, but it plays fine at the monitors resolution with all in game settings at max. using the in game fps counter it stays between 35-55fps with most of that time at 55fps with drops to as low as 35fps when camera moves into a cluttered scene. All in all a surprisingly good experience.

My 6850 idles at about 32degrees and maxes out at 42degrees when playing Eve.

Comment

"new things" that they have been developing internally at the company
        My guess is that it is support for Radeon 7790(Bonaire).

Comment

Those temperatures I listed in my last post 132degrees while idle 142degrees while playing Eve. My 1 key got stuck and I didnt notice until just now.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            See I have a situation where I have a 1280x1024 screen pugged into a 4200 on-board gpu, which I use for pretty nothing else than to watch videos. Which it does fine. I havent really tried playing hd back on it simply because the monitor isnt anywhere close to hd resolution.
            1280x720 is the resolution for the 720p HD spec, so your monitor should be able to handle it fine (with a certain amount of letterboxing). It's not 1080p, but it's definitely better than standard definition.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Those temperatures I listed in my last post 132degrees while idle 142degrees while playing Eve. My 1 key got stuck and I didnt notice until just now.
              1.4 times boiling water?

(post your units people.)

Comment

Working...
              X