Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Criticism Comes Towards Intel's Beignet OpenCL

Phoronix: More Criticism Comes Towards Intel's Beignet OpenCL

Yesterday was marked by the first release of Beignet, an open-source Linux OpenCL solution for Intel Ivy Bridge hardware, however it has drawn criticism by open-source developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Drivers are a product. Intel writes drivers themselves and is responsible for quality of their driver to their consumers (non-corporate open source developers don't have that responsibility - they are just scratching their own itch - you like my software - great! you don't - too bad!). How can you claim responsibility for something you have no control over? If I were businness manager at Intel I would do it separately as well - I wouldn't want to be held responsible by my superriors for mistakes of other people not under me. I bet that is one of the reasons Intel does it themselves instead of relying on existing open source framework that from their perspective has a life on its own.

Comment

Your stance is as valid as intel saying they won't release anything for Linux, since they don't control Linux.

How long have you been working for intel?

Comment

Intel are the knights who say NIH. The only positive thing is that thanks to the vast amount of resources they pour into it, they have the best quality open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
          Intel are the knights who say NIH. The only positive thing is that thanks to the vast amount of resources they pour into it, they have the best quality open source drivers.
          I think you mean "Nee".

Comment

The solution to this problem is simple; nobody is forced to include the intel drivers in their distro. If Intel doesn't get the message and tries to insist on their own ugly approach, then one would think that if Red Hat put their foot down on this issue, Intel would be forced to yield. I'm sure that the biggest revenue that Intel gains from "Linux" is via enterprise customers running RHEL, which really makes it important for Intel to take the hint.

Comment

Working...
            X