Linux Gets IDed For Intel's "Harris Beach" Ultrabook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
    Not at all (I suppose you forgot "are"). They have the least reliable hardware out there because they compromise everything for looks.
    Just face the reality, you want the good looks when you go to Starbucks. Your list screams "I want a Mac" but you obviously did not have any rational experience with those machines.

Irrelevant to the discussion, and I really don't care.
    No I don't just "want good looks" It just so happens that there's two, maybe three, vendors currently who give me what I need in a laptop.

Dell with the XPS 13z -- more so the new model though than the old one which is what I have.
    System76 with the Lemur (<--- the maybe. They dont fit exactly what i want)
    Apple with the Macbook Air.

Now, what do I want? Good screen, good battery life, lightweight, non-plastic casing, backlit keyboard, not a brick, intel GPU is fine.

I got the XPS 13z because it gave me a reasonable screen, 5-6hrs of battery life, a backlit keyboard, a good casing with a gorilla glass protected screen, very lightweight (lighter than the macbook air actually), an intel CPU since AMD is going down the toilet as far as CPU's go, a relatively thin profile so its not an issue to put it in my backpack or suitcase with other things in there.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Err, by definition that would be 768p.

It's just vertical resolution, with p=progressive or i=interlaced.
      There is no named resolution like that. There are 720p and 1080p resolutions, that are specified as broadcast standards.
      1366 x 768 is only there because mutinying those results in an easy to handle pixel count for chip-sets.
      We would even fare much better with 1280x720 displays.

Comment

Zenbook

A nice extra you would want is a bright screen when out on a sunny day.

Check out the ASUS Zenbook.
        The UX32A-DH51 is around 1000$

If you have some cash to burn
        ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ-DH71

Comment

Originally posted by steverweber View Post
          A nice extra you would want is a bright screen when out on a sunny day.

Check out the ASUS Zenbook.
          The UX32A-DH51 is around 1000$

If you have some cash to burn
          ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ-DH71
          Thank you, finally, a non-dick comment. And yes, a bright screen is another big one that I forgot because i do love to write or do work out on the deck or on campus outside. . I will admit, the Dell XPS 13z fits most of my criteria, including a moderately bright screen. Its usable outside in direct sun but its still kind of a mirror lol.

I hope they do a Haswell refresh because a better screen than 1366x768 would be awesome. Otherwise I have very few complaints... the few that I do have are..

1) The BIOS doesnt support GPT disks for some reason... if you try to boot with GPT the Bios marks it as "no boot device found"
          2) The AC jack is poorly designed..it basically MAKES the cord fray and stretch and slip out. (Seriously even a TINY bit of magnetism would be helpful)
          3) The venting needs to be better done...if the laptop is on your lap, its basically a guarantee that your leg will cover the main vent for the one and only fan.
          4) 4gigs of ram is a bit low since you cant upgrade it (soldered on) but the refresh from earlier this year kicked all the specs up. Ivy Bridge instead of Sandy Bridge, 1080p instead of 766p, 8gigs instead of 4, and a 256 SSD instead of 128

EDIT:

5) The touchpad-- a Cypress, is just NOW getting mainline linux support in 3.9 and theres basically no palm rejection so typing is a pain... Also Dell fscked up the screen connectors to the Sandy Bridge GPU because for some reason when you adjust the brightness it updates the registers for brightness, but resets others. So you have to set them in a very specific order OR, go back and Re-reset the ones the GPU just reset. Which is also finally getting fixed in 3.9, but considering this laptop came out during the...3.6? or so window, thats been a long time to wait to get the patches merged into mainline instead of just out-of-tree modules and patches.
          Last edited by Ericg; 16 April 2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            I said 720p minimum (or whatever the equiv at 1366x768-- thats what my laptop is now) because bigger screen sizes drain the battery more and make the GPU work harder if you want "native resolution" images whether it be in videos or desktop compositing or games or whatever.

4hrs I'd be happy with honestly.. my current laptop gets about 5 so I can work with 4
            Screenwise, does more pixels actually require more power? I would think the power would be based more on the size in inches, as opposed to pixels. Me, I want 1440p+ screens either way.

Comment

Originally posted by skriticos View Post
              There is no named resolution like that. There are 720p and 1080p resolutions, that are specified as broadcast standards.
              1366 x 768 is only there because mutinying those results in an easy to handle pixel count for chip-sets.
              We would even fare much better with 1280x720 displays.

http://hd1080i.blogspot.de/2006/12/1...-problems.html
              What are you talking about, "named" resolutions? There's no such thing.

There are standards that most US content uses - those would be 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, and 1080i/1080p. But there's nothing "special" about those though, other than that most content targets them so therefore most hardware does as well.

The "names" don't even talk about horizontal resolution - 720p can be 1280x720, 960x720, 720x720, or even 20x720.

Comment

Folks you missed point.

Reference platform is NOT for You. You WONT get it.

It's for other OEM's to get general idea what Intel talk about...

Comment

I'd rather get a thicker plastic notebook that uses standard, off-the-shelf components that I can switch out in minutes like:

- socketed mSATA drives
                  - socketed RAM
                  - socketed CPU
                  - standard interface, non-soldered mPCIe WiFi card

and lastly, easy access to the hardware that does not require dealing with non-standard screwheads or disassembling the whole machine and carefully pealing off some obnoxious EM shielding that seems to be placed more to obstruct self-disassembly than to actually protect the machine.

Which, unfortunately, are qualities not present in any ultrabook today, tomorrow or in the future.
                  Last edited by Sonadow; 17 April 2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

What I really want is a good replacement for my old 12" PowerBook G4, with the same form factor and build quality but better specs.
                    What is it with these widescreen things?

So my perfect laptop would have:
                    - 12" 1440x1080 (4:3) screen, bright and non-glossy.
                    - 'Traditional' laptop keyboard (I hate chiclet ones), with plenty of travel and ideally backlighting.
                    - Big, responsive trackpad. Not too slippery, those glass ones are horrible.
                    - i7, separate GPU. Both replaceable.
                    - Optical drive, 2.5" SATA drive, removable RAM up to 16GB, mPCIe.
                    - 3G and wifi, GbE, DisplayPort/HDMI and DVI-I out
                    - At least four USB ports (some USB3) not all on the same side, eSATA, FireWire, perhaps Thunderbolt
                    - Really big battery. I don't mind it being about an inch thick if I can use it for 8-10 hours straight.
                    - The ability to swap the optical drive out for even more battery (yes, I love my PB1400)
                    - A really solid metal case, with plenty of internal bracing and some shock-absorption.

Apple used to make some really well-built, solid laptops - my PB190(!), PB1400 and G4 are all still working, despite the former being 20 years old and the latter having been dropped a dozen times and taken all over the country by bike. I'd never by a Macbook though - definitely style over substance (just look at those glass trackpads and glossy screens...)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                      Folks you missed point.

Reference platform is NOT for You. You WONT get it.

It's for other OEM's to get general idea what Intel talk about...

hey hey hey... we can dream lol

Comment

Working...
                      X