Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gets IDed For Intel's "Harris Beach" Ultrabook

Phoronix: Linux Gets IDed For Intel's "Harris Beach" Ultrabook

Harris Beach is Intel's compelling Software Development Platform/Vehicle for Haswell in the form of an ultra-thin ultrabook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wishlist:

1) 720p screen minimum
    2) Decent battery life (4hrs minimum)
    3) Good quality webcam
    4) Backlit keyboard
    5) non-sucking trackpad (read: decent palm rejection support on linux)
    6) metal unibody casing
    7) Reasonable price ( $1000 or so, plus or minus $100)
    8) yearly or bi-yearly (tick-tock) refreshes

And I'll just start buying Intel made ultrabooks every 2 or 3 years.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Wishlist:

1) 720p screen minimum
      2) Decent battery life (4hrs minimum)
      3) Good quality webcam
      4) Backlit keyboard
      5) non-sucking trackpad (read: decent palm rejection support on linux)
      6) metal unibody casing
      7) Reasonable price ( $1000 or so, plus or minus $100)
      8) yearly or bi-yearly (tick-tock) refreshes

And I'll just start buying Intel made ultrabooks every 2 or 3 years.
      >> 1) 720p screen minimum
      Are you kidding? 720p = 1280?720. Basically every laptop has 1366x768 at 10" to 15.6" and is sold as HD. What you want is 1080p minimum.

>> 2) Decent battery life (4hrs minimum)
      How about 6 hours min? 4 hours won't bring you through the day

The other points are agreeable.
      Last edited by skriticos; 16 April 2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

4) Backlit keyboard
        Useless. And you don't even mention "good keyboard"?

6) metal unibody casing
        God, please, no.

Comment

Originally posted by skriticos View Post
          >> 1) 720p screen minimum
          Are you kidding? 720p = 1280?720. Basically every laptop has 1366x768 at 10" to 15.6" and is sold as HD. What you want is 1080p minimum.

>> 2) Decent battery life (4hrs minimum)
          How about 6 hours min? 4 hours won't bring you through the day

The other points are agreeable.
          I said 720p minimum (or whatever the equiv at 1366x768-- thats what my laptop is now) because bigger screen sizes drain the battery more and make the GPU work harder if you want "native resolution" images whether it be in videos or desktop compositing or games or whatever.

4hrs I'd be happy with honestly.. my current laptop gets about 5 so I can work with 4

Comment

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
            Useless. And you don't even mention "good keyboard"?

God, please, no.
            I've yet to see a BAD keyboard that was backlit. I've seen plenty of bad keyboards that weren't backlit, I've seen good keyboards both lit and not lit, but Ive yet to find a BAD backlit keyboard. Typically if the company is gonna be conscious enough about the keyboard to make sure its backlit they are also conscious enough to make sure its a good keyboard too.

You obviously dont travel with a laptop as much as me XD the metal unibody casing is necessary for the amount of hits and drops a laptop can suffer.

Oh, another wishlist: gorilla glass on the screen. I accidentally slammed something against my laptop screen a few months back and the gorilla glass took it without a single complaint or ding

Comment

I've yet to see a BAD keyboard that was backlit.
              Any Mac. Horrible experiences.

You obviously dont travel with a laptop as much as me XD the metal unibody casing is necessary for the amount of hits and drops a laptop can suffer.
              First, "XD".
              Second, aluminum "unibody" crap is only for looks, not for durability.
              I have seen way too many dented, bent "unibody" macbooks.
              Third, "going to Starbucks" does not count as travelling.

And now the "Gorilla" glass?

You seem to want a Mac. Just buy a Mac, be the true hipster you want to be and stop wanting to ruin other people's good hardware.

Comment

I said 720p minimum (or whatever the equiv at 1366x768
                Err, by definition that would be 768p.

It's just vertical resolution, with p=progressive or i=interlaced.

Comment

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
                  Any Mac. Horrible experiences.

First, "XD".
                  Second, aluminum "unibody" crap is only for looks, not for durability.
                  I have seen way too many dented, bent "unibody" macbooks.
                  Third, "going to Starbucks" does not count as travelling.

And now the "Gorilla" glass?

You seem to want a Mac. Just buy a Mac, be the true hipster you want to be and stop wanting to ruin other people's good hardware.
                  Really, Pankkake? Calling me a hipster? Just...seriously just shutup, because you dont know SHIT about me.

Gorilla glass can take a hit, this laptop took a hit right to the screen that wouldve shattered my old one.

I travel across the country both by car and by plane, things get knocked around.

Aluminum unibody is not just about looks, it does have an impact on durability that plastic doesnt provide.

Apple macs good, reliable, durable HARDWARE. I hate OS X. If I ever bought a mac, the first thing I'd do is put Win7 or a Linux distro on it.

Comment

Apple macs good, reliable, durable HARDWARE.
                    Not at all (I suppose you forgot "are"). They have the least reliable hardware out there because they compromise everything for looks.
                    Just face the reality, you want the good looks when you go to Starbucks. Your list screams "I want a Mac" but you obviously did not have any rational experience with those machines.

I hate OS X. If I ever bought a mac, the first thing I'd do is put Win7 or a Linux distro on it.
                    Irrelevant to the discussion, and I really don't care.
                    Last edited by pankkake; 16 April 2013, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X