Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Default Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Phoronix: Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

The gaming performance for Ouya, the successful Kickstarter project to develop a low-cost Android-powered open game console, is rather poor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1MjU

I'll wait until mine arrives before I come to any conclusions. I know that it won't be as fast as a Steam Box or PS4, but that's not the point of this device.

Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

For future references: real consoles do not multitask!

For a while I thought that considering the amount of contributors Ouya had, they'd have invested in Tegra 4, or at least find a way to heavily overclock the Tegra 3 without killing it. Anyways, unless they made some software mods of their own, I don't think the hardware will make enough of a difference anyway. Android makes a pretty bad PC, and while Ouya is focused on gaming and media, it's also claimed to be a development platform. I wish the project success, but I think Tegra 3 will really hurt it.

The current OUYA is best suited as a Home Theatre PC.

They plan to bring out new versions and those future versions would be very interesting for casual games. The current one however is meh.

What's going on with you people? The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known. Did anyone actually expect miracles?
    Last edited by brent; 04-15-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene2k View Post
    Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

For future references: real consoles do not multitask!
    "Good god, people, how naive can you be?"
    Funny, that was exactly my thoughts when I read your post. Real consoles do multitask to some degree. Next generation even more so. Android isn't slowing down the performance that much, particularly OpenGL. Tegra 3 never had a fast GPU, only good marketing and decent drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    What's going on with you people? The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known. Did anyone actually expect miracles?
    ^ This.

I wasn't impressed with Ouya at all when I saw the kickstarter for it. This seems about in line with what I expected of it, mediocre hardware/performance. Project Shield looks like a much better contender for the Android-based gaming device market.

I think the headline here is far overblown.

I was never expecting a whole lot beyond being a decent HTPC and maybe playing some Mario clones.

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known.
    Well known to suck. It will play Angry Birds and other android games, that's all i ever thought would happen.