• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad. Unusable for me

Comment

X3 was originally available on Windows but with heavy DRM

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
      Nowhere. X3 is Steam-only.
      I think Steam is the only option now, or ever on linux, but i'm not sure there is any DRM at all anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I think Steam is the only option now, or ever on linux, but i'm not sure there is any DRM at all anymore.
        Unless they added it back for Linux release, the drm is no longer there since version 2.5 of the game I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
          You can speed up travel with SETA (Singularity Engine Time Accelerator), basically it lets you speed up time up to 10X to shorten long trips.
          Unless you touch the controls, then it stops and you're back to crawling speeds.

I could never really get into this game. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to get past the learning curve or read the 500 page manuals. That and the sound effects and music quality (which is abhorrent) turned me off it.

It definitely portrays a "living" universe better than, say, Freelancer (which had nothing of the sort, but it wasn't a sim either).

Comment

hum...

Most people with any interest in this game have probably already played it for many hours and have grown bored of it; probably shouldn't of bothered releasing it at all. You guys said it has a steep learning curve, that's an instant turn off to me and I'll likely not bother too. I like familiar things I can jump right into, like SPAZ.

But it's cool, we have several Space related games coming our way via Kickstarter and other outlets. So it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
              It definitely portrays a "living" universe better than, say, Freelancer (which had nothing of the sort, but it wasn't a sim either).
              Freelancer is SPACE COMBAT SIM after all.

But why is X3:TC categorized as Stratedy? (And why is it 16 euro, that is new game price tag...)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                Freelancer is SPACE COMBAT SIM after all.
                It doesn't even do that particularly well. The game had potential but every part of it felt unfinished. It didn't help that Microsoft treated it like an unwanted child either.

Comment

32bit or 64bit?

I have X3 Reunion from Linux from LGP. It ran OK a few years ago but on my 460GTX box (Ubuntu 12.04, SUSE 12.2 both 64bit) it crashes quite often. It has had a history of graphical artefacts too.

I do hope that Egosoft's Linux port has native 64bit executables available - 32bit should be history by now.

X3 has a steep learning curve? What a load of bull! If you expect to know everything, or even 50% of any version of this game in a SHORT period of playing it then you are indeed setting yourself a steep learning curve; your curve will not be of the monotonic increasing variety.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    (And why is it 16 euro, that is new game price tag...)
                    New games go for 16 eur? You should tell that to the local stores here, they are 59.99 or 69.99.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                      It doesn't even do that particularly well. The game had potential but every part of it felt unfinished. It didn't help that Microsoft treated it like an unwanted child either.
                      Which is a real shame, since it absolutely screams with potential - it's visually great, the controls are arcadey but decent, the UI is simple and usable, the trade + fight Elite-style gameplay is one of my favorite genres, and the setting is just large enough to actually reward exploring remote systems. I'd preorder "Freelancer 2: Huge budget edition" in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                      X