Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.9-rc7 Might Fix A Rare 32-bit PAE Bug

Phoronix: Linux 3.9-rc7 Might Fix A Rare 32-bit PAE Bug

Linus Torvalds has announced the release of the Linux 3.9-rc7 kernel with the final release of the Linux 3.9 kernel likely being imminent...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That said, this bug is much more common (and by "much more common" I
    mean "still basically impossible to hit unless you were really
    unlucky") on newer machines that have bigger TLB's and that could
    happily have run in 64-bit mode without the disgusting abortion that
    is x86 PAE, and a small part of me feels that anybody who hit this
    problem on such a machine probably got whatever they deserved.
    Classic Linus speak, and one of the reasons why we all love him so much!

We need fewer smooth talking politicians, and more honest engineers like him.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      Classic Linus speak, and one of the reasons why we all love him so much!

We need fewer smooth talking politicians, and more honest engineers like him.
      Meh, if I ran that configuration, does that imply I'm stupid or something? How am I supposed to know this is 'bad'? It works! I can read e-mail, browse the web etc etc. Maybe it might not technically be 'sane'. But why not take this a stretch further: let's dump x86 NOW and mass migrate over to ARM (or whatever).

Yeah, real nice.

Comment

x86 PAE is only a workaround for lazy software developer not wanting to do work fixing their code to 64bit. No-one in the know has installed a 32bit OS on performant x86 hardware made after 2003/2004 (amd/intel). ARM is not part of this discussion since it has no PAE and has 64bit processors only entering the market.

If after 10 years someone is still using 32bit ARM, i will include them in this category of idiots.
        Last edited by varikonniemi; 15 April 2013, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Re ARM has no PAE: google "arm lpae"

Comment

x86 PAE is only a workaround for lazy software developer not wanting to do work fixing their code to 64bit.
            I don't care, it works. I can do the stuff I want.

No-one in the know has installed a 32bit OS on performant x86 hardware made after 2003/2004 (amd/intel).
            Don't really see the relation of this statement.

ARM is not part of this discussion since it has no PAE and has 64bit processors only entering the market.
            It was a counter argument. X86 is still here because it's the standard, not because it's x86. Same goes for PAE (somewhat). I made this statement to elaborate my example.

If after 10 years someone is still using 32bit ARM, i will include them in this category of idiots.
            I find that statement rude. If a device works for it's user, the technical details are not a big deal. They are when one wants to upgrade. But if it works, it works!

I'm typing this message from a single-core single-threaded CPU (UP machine) (with 64bit caps). Do you consider me an idiot because I did not upgrade?

Comment

Working...
            X