Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPGT: Open-Source Remote 3D Gaming

Phoronix: SPGT: Open-Source Remote 3D Gaming

SPGT, short for Single Player Game Transmitter, is an open-source project that provides support for remote desktop transmission of games and other interactive 3D applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So that means you could run any app, not just 3D? It looks like it performs well- how would this compare to something like RDP? Also, there doesn't seem to be a Linux or OS X server, so I'm guessing this would only work well with games. Still, what could be more difficult in remote computing than rendering a game smoothly? I'm gonna' boot up my dusty old Dual Core (pfft) Windows machine and try this out.

Comment

The whole idea of streaming games has always seemed like a terrible idea to me. On one hand, unless you are only using it on a LAN, I can't see how you can get around a certain amount of lag in control responsiveness. I'm not saying it is impossible, just seems unlikely at this point in time, especially with how varied network connections are still today.

On the other hand is the more serious problem, streaming a game from a remote server constitutes a new form of service, one that is largely unneeded by users but offers new revenue opportunities for unscrupulous businesses. The idea of paying a subscription to play single player games may seem absurd to some, but GameFly and other game rental services prove that people are willing to buy into it and streaming games is a logical next step down that path.

Comment

I think that streaming games over the Internet is just a waste of time due to flucuations in response time, bandwidth constraints etc and if you live in a country with poor international connections (Australia), you are left with little to no options... but streaming it around the house is a whole different story and something I've been looking for so I can play games on my TV without moving my main computer around the house.

I already have a Linux HTPC plugged into the TV and if I can just stream it locally that would be perfect, I might have to give this a go.

Comment

XVID?????
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

does this allow for multiple clients?
            would be sweet to host this on a server with a fast connection play old emulated games with my friends over the internet

Comment

This is awesome! I used to do something similar with VirtualGL and TurboVNC. I could stream Wii games in 1080p w/dolphin-emu so my brother and I could play multiplayer games from different rooms

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
                This is awesome! I used to do something similar with VirtualGL and TurboVNC. I could stream Wii games in 1080p w/dolphin-emu so my brother and I could play multiplayer games from different rooms
                What happens if the game only runs in Microsoft Windows platforms?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  What happens if the game only runs in Microsoft Windows platforms?
                  Wine I never tried any Windows games though. My brother liked playing mostly Wii games.

Comment

Working...
                  X