Tuning Btrfs vs. F2FS, EXT4, XFS File-Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drag View Post
    Plus most of BTRFS features are worthless if all you have is a single disk. The ability to do parities, checksums, scrub disks, etc etc are going to be of little use without any ability to recover corrupt data. For that you need at least 2 disks.
    That's only true if your entire disk dies. Otherwise, Btrfs keeps backup information in several places on the disk and can recover from them once it finds that there is corruption. COW also helps with that, if a newer version of the file is corrupt, it can at least restore the last known good version of the file.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      kiwi_kid_aka_bod: Why? It's interesting/useful/important to see how BTRFS performance develops over time.
      Because BTRFS is not about performance, and that's all these toy comparisons look at. Yes, it should be improved, but the primary reason is making your data available. And that means the data you wrote, not something similar to your data.

If all you are concerned about is performance, then create a 10 disk stripped volume on Ext4. That in fact would be a viable setup as say a temporary workspace for video editing. As a reliable storage method it would be a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        The system also doubles as a linux desktop since my laptop runs windows 7 for power management reasons.
        Just curious, is that AMD GPU in your laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          the server is actually a 17inch laptop with an amd gpu yes. it gets used as a desktop though haha. My laptop laptop is a dell xps 13z with Intel Sandy Bridge. under Linux it occassionally overheats if I don't keep an eye on the temperatures, u der win7 that doesn't bappen. So I stick to win7 to make sure I don't damage anything from thermal output
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

For me it's my (feature stripped) Intel i3 CPU that tends to overheat on Linux. Again, not so on Windows :/

Comment

I just installed a system with btrfs on my second computer just to see how it works. So far everything has been going well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                For me it's my (feature stripped) Intel i3 CPU that tends to overheat on Linux. Again, not so on Windows :/
                Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                the server is actually a 17inch laptop with an amd gpu yes. it gets used as a desktop though haha. My laptop laptop is a dell xps 13z with Intel Sandy Bridge. under Linux it occassionally overheats if I don't keep an eye on the temperatures, u der win7 that doesn't bappen. So I stick to win7 to make sure I don't damage anything from thermal output
                Ok, this is definately what Chris Wilson would be welcome to hear. Could you guys please open a thread here in "Intel". This is funny, how it can be....?

Comment

Ok, this is definately what Chris Wilson would be welcome to hear. Could you guys please open a thread here in "Intel". This is funny, how it can be....?
                  Yeah thats what I don't understand either... because this laptop has 1 fan directly over the CPU and the only real component is an Intel Sandy Bridge. If the fans blow at max under windows 7, the laptop stays at 85 degrees. Under Linux it hits 85 degrees and then gradually climbs up until BIOS kills it. I don't understand how doing the same workload with the same components can result in Linux overheating but not Windows, especially given that its mainly the fans job and you dont "program" a fan that runs at max.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I've used Btrfs for some time, spent some time and effort tweaking it, but I've migrated back to ext4 now.

BtrFS has great functionality, but performance, especially when you are using most of your drive capacity, was absolutely horrid. Even with SSD caching it was still problematic.

Comment

I just moved my SSD (root only) back to btrfs at home. Performance seems a bit better than about a year ago. I've also got a lab server that is currently running a small 4 disk raid1 btrfs array, that I plan to test out the new raid5/6 functionality on.

On a side note, some of these package manager-aware snapshotting utilities are really awesome! For example on debian based systems there is apt-btrfs-snapshot. Once installed, it can snapshot your root volume automatically during an apt-get upgrade. This makes it really handy when running a bleeding edge distribution, or doing other things like testing a new RC kernel, or new AMD/Nvidia proprietary drivers. Rolling back to a snapshot takes literally 5 seconds and a reboot.

Of course this can be done manually, but it's kinda nice to have it done for you in case you forget. I really can't wait to roll this out to some production servers in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X