Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Display Server Now Supports VT Switching

Phoronix: Mir Display Server Now Supports VT Switching

While there was the video of Unity Next running on Mir with a Google Nexus 4 hand-held, in terms of the overall feature completeness of the Mir Display Server, there is still much work ahead. Only on Friday did Mir even gain support for switching to virtual terminals...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Go Mir! Kill Wayland! There can be only one! Go Canonical Go! We need more initiatives like these to show the losers how it's done!
    I hope this is sarcastic. If not, this isn't some new Mir innovation, this is extremely basic functionality that has been missing from Mir (like most basic Mir functionality not provided by forks of third-party libraries).

And did you miss the second part of the post where it was pointed out that Mir's only claim to fame (android support) was actually provided by a third-party library developed for wayland?
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 13 April 2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Go Mir! Kill Wayland! There can be only one! Go Canonical Go! We need more initiatives like these to show the losers how it's done!
      Are you high right now? Your comments are extremely polarized, to the point where it is either laughable.

Comment

FLOSS will not kill PR nor will it kill POLITICS.

libhybris become victim of those. Canonical wanted their work on non-Wayland successor to be not known to anyone outside Canonical. For sure they could not start to contribute to libhybris, cause someone would notice it and would wonder why they do it! And most probably we would see some black PR thrown at Canonical for developing things their current user do not use while not developing anything their users use. Keeping it silent and separate was OK. Keeping it separate after anouncment would be not. So Canonical devs performed as well as we could expect them to.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          libhybris become victim of those. Canonical wanted their work on non-Wayland successor to be not known to anyone outside Canonical. For sure they could not start to contribute to libhybris, cause someone would notice it and would wonder why they do it! And most probably we would see some black PR thrown at Canonical for developing things their current user do not use while not developing anything their users use. Keeping it silent and separate was OK. Keeping it separate after anouncment would be not. So Canonical devs performed as well as we could expect them to.
          Your argument simply doesn't make any sense. I don't believe that Canonical has ever had as bad public backlash as they have had with Mir and the libhybris mess isn't making it any better. They could have also worked on libhybris without giving anything other away than the fact that they are working mobile devices... which we already knew because they had publicly announced that a long time ago. It's very unfortunate that Canonical seems to be incapable of taking part in collaborative developement process.

Comment

@BO$$ LOL. You are not writing properly your /sarcasm tags, though.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Considering Canonical had already promised support for wayland, making improvements to a library intended for use by wayland would probably not have been all that surprising.

Wait, this is Canonical we are talking about. I guess if they suddenly started contributing to upstream projects it would have been surprising </snark>

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                @BO$$ LOL. You are not writing properly your /sarcasm tags, though.
                Why are you talking to a troll

Comment

Rooting for Mir to beat Wayland is like rooting for the Russians to beat the USA to the moon in 2013. Wayland already won.

Weston supported something as simple as VT switching for years, and Xorg before that. It's not an innovative feature at all, in fact, when I tested Mir a while ago, I laughed at the fact that when I started it, and tried to switch TTYs, it would hijack the TTY, and not stay confined to the TTY I started it in, despite it being 9 months old... This article is more or less news that Mir hasn't been supporting such a feature UNTIL NOW!

Mir is FAR behind Wayland. Grab a Wayland Live CD, and try a MIR PPA, and then find out which one is leading the way.

Hint: It's the one that's not Mir

Comment

Client/Server

I wonder why canonical choose the client/server model for the Mir display server (same as X) while it was said that the big deal of Wayland was that it was client only, which would improve performance.

Also I remember a lot of wars from people bitching about network transparency been lost because of this method used by the Wayland library. Maybe porting to Mir from X will be more easier (while keeping features) than porting to Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                    X