Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    How would the experience change?
    At least they could easily upgrade and test developement releases of EFL and such as there would be continuous testing for Mir. But seriously, I don't feel strongly about the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
      Rooting for Mir to beat Wayland is like rooting for the Russians to beat the USA to the moon in 2013. Wayland already won.

Weston supported something as simple as VT switching for years, and Xorg before that. It's not an innovative feature at all, in fact, when I tested Mir a while ago, I laughed at the fact that when I started it, and tried to switch TTYs, it would hijack the TTY, and not stay confined to the TTY I started it in, despite it being 9 months old... This article is more or less news that Mir hasn't been supporting such a feature UNTIL NOW!

Mir is FAR behind Wayland. Grab a Wayland Live CD, and try a MIR PPA, and then find out which one is leading the way.

Hint: It's the one that's not Mir
      Wayland has not won anything yet. X is still around after 30 years and many wayland like projects to replace X, and i bet 10 years from now we will be still using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
        Wayland has not won anything yet. X is still around after 30 years and many wayland like projects to replace X, and i bet 10 years from now we will be still using it.
        Previous attempts to replace X (Berlin/Fresco, the Y Window System) were critically lacking backward compatibility with X, which Wayland has (actually running a full instance of X.org rootless, when necessary). Also, as far as I can tell, everyone working on X *wants* Wayland to replace it, and many of them are working on Wayland to achieve that. The most prominent Wayland developers, including krh, have a substantial history as X developers.

I do hope in 10 years X will still be entirely usable, because I don't think there is reason to discard that functionality.

Comment

Working...
        X