Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel i965 Gallium3D Driver In Standstill

Phoronix: Intel i965 Gallium3D Driver In Standstill

Back in December a new Intel Gallium3D driver was announced that supported the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge graphics processors under a completely new driver architecture than the current i965 "classic" Mesa DRI driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know that Gallium is kind of the baby of the FOSS world...but in this case who cares? The nice part about Gallium is that it decreases the workload on developers. And when you have a limited number of random contributors (ex: radeon and nouveau) that's a great boon. But this is Intel. Intel has what? 20 paid devs working on the Intel driver? Devs that KNOW the hardware and aren't reverse engineering it. Let them make their highly optimized, highly specific driver. They've got the knowledge to do it, they don't need Gallium's benefits because they don't have a shortage of knowledgeable developers.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Gallium is nice because you can create state trackers and extend it very easily

Classic Mesa feels like a walled garden

Btw, Michael is an idiot: https://github.com/olvaffe/mesa/commits/i965g-next

Inactive my ass.

Comment

Not sad at all

Sadly, it appears this new i965g driver also doesn't stand a chance.
        I'd like to see Intel support gallium, but it's kind of insane to be rooting for an unsupported i965 driver to go against the Intel backed official one.

Without those 20 intel devs working on it, there's no way it would ever be able to catch up with the official one, and there's not much point to having 2 drivers for the same hardware if one is going to be far less than the other.

The i915 driver is different, in that the "official" one from Intel is largely unsupported, at least with new work, and the gallium driver had some real support from Google in order to make it competitive.

Comment

Lol

He pulled the article after I emailed him

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
            Lol

Wasn't aware he was pushing to a different branch.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Gallium is nice because you can create state trackers and extend it very easily

Classic Mesa feels like a walled garden

Btw, Michael is an idiot: https://github.com/olvaffe/mesa/commits/i965g-next

Inactive my ass.
              the google-, github-fu is strong with you

nice catch !

I'm curious how the new driver will stack up against the old one

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                I know that Gallium is kind of the baby of the FOSS world...but in this case who cares? The nice part about Gallium is that it decreases the workload on developers. And when you have a limited number of random contributors (ex: radeon and nouveau) that's a great boon. But this is Intel. Intel has what? 20 paid devs working on the Intel driver? Devs that KNOW the hardware and aren't reverse engineering it. Let them make their highly optimized, highly specific driver. They've got the knowledge to do it, they don't need Gallium's benefits because they don't have a shortage of knowledgeable developers.
                IIRC, they don't use Gallium because they don't want to rewrite their driver from scratch. They are also a little bit worried about the CPU overhead of Mesa+Gallium, but there is no proof the difference between a classic and Gallium driver would be measurable if they had both. Other than that, Gallium has only benefits.

Comment

And after you have publicly called him an idiot.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Wasn't aware he was pushing to a different branch.
                  It would serve your readers better if you didn't just silently drop the article. But instead add a statement why you retract it.

Comment

Ok, the usual problem is first that the build system doesn't work with i965g alone, you also have to build swrast (gallium) for the build system to not choke on osmesa.

Code:
                    OpenGL vendor string: We Love Gallium3D
                    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.0 (git-10004a0)
                    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                    glxgears works without issues. The HUD is not yet merged into this branch it seems.

http://get.webgl.org in chrome dev works, but 100.000 stars hangs the gpu.

kwin seems to work fine, very performant even.
                    Last edited by ChrisXY; 13 April 2013, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X