No announcement yet.

Intel i965 Gallium3D Driver In Standstill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xonotic is not very fast in comparison but it works well, only complains about missing texture compression. s3tc seems to be missing from this one.

It's a good start I think.

Comment

Code:
      20ccad9f919faebda8bdb76574c7b7af5153bcea
      i965g: enable s3tc if available
      Wish granted.

Xonotic now renders fine on pretty high quality. It says the fps are pretty good but the actual displaying is not very smooth.

I tried to compile it for 32 bit and a 32 bit glxgears seems to work but when I start steam it says
      Code:
      libGL error: driver pointer missing

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        I know that Gallium is kind of the baby of the FOSS world...but in this case who cares? The nice part about Gallium is that it decreases the workload on developers.

Because with a custom driver, other cool work in the FOSS community can't automatically plug into their driver. Gallium allows new features and APIs to be developed without needing hardware driver changes. Intel's approach requires a bunch of extra Intel-specific work for any new GPU-related API or toolkit that can't plug into the rather graphics-specific OpenGL/EGL APIs.

It's similar in a far-off way to how the proprietary drivers don't use any of the in-kernel infrastructure so new APIs like Wayland or even older KMS stuff can't just plug-in and we have to wait until their developers implement new APIs. Obviously with the Intel driver we're not stuck waiting since the code is Open, but we're definitely stuck waiting until someone with the time and know-how rewrites a bunch of code that would already be written for Gallium.

Comment

if you are on gen4 intel ...

or anything intel besides ivy bridge:

forget about 3d LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Other than that, Gallium has only benefits.
            Except that you occasionally have to quarrel with Marek about shared interfaces

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              if you are on gen4 intel ...

or anything intel besides ivy bridge:

forget about 3d LOLOLOLOLOLOL

sandy bridge works just fine for me, though I am looking forwards to haswell and broadwell
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
              X