Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Open-Source Stream Library

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Open-Source Stream Library

A NVIDIA engineer has code dropped over 2,500 lines of new open-source code that enables application-level support for host1x hardware through a new Stream library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm, needless to say, pretty impressed.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you, Nvidia!

Comment

Yea, makes me wonder what they are up to. Things like that are highly uncharacteristic of NVIDIA...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Yea, makes me wonder what they are up to. Things like that are highly uncharacteristic of NVIDIA...
          I wouldnt jump that far, its not uncharacteristic since they said they were gonna be doing open source work for Tegra. Its just a new strategy, they probably couldnt do it on the desktop due to 3rd party IP
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            I wouldnt jump that far, its not uncharacteristic since they said they were gonna be doing open source work for Tegra. Its just a new strategy, they probably couldnt do it on the desktop due to 3rd party IP
            this

they were always quite cooperative as far as mobo chipsets and the Tegra platform in whole was concerned

if anything, it shows that if they want to they can release code, they just don't want to for their GPUs

Comment

Sure, but they're uncooperative when it comes to everything else. Not even only on Linux - look at PhysX, or the fact that they deliberately cripple GPGPU capabilities of their cards in favour of Tesla. So the different attitude towards Tegra is what strikes me as odd. Not that I'm complaining, though.

Comment

Since when wrapping and 5 lines functions constitutes a library?

You might want to have a look at some of the code:

This is mostly a wrapper that simplifies access to what should have been open and accessible in the first place. That is, this "library" (Seriously ?! ~2.5k lines is a library now ?!) while probably very useful (I wouldn't know), shouldn't be necessary in the first place.
                This is almost as bad as praising Microsoft for providing header files to their DLLs...

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

This is mostly a wrapper that simplifies access to what should have been open and accessible in the first place. That is, this "library" (Seriously ?! ~2.5k lines is a library now ?!) while probably very useful (I wouldn't know), shouldn't be necessary in the first place.
                  This is almost as bad as praising Microsoft for providing header files to their DLLs...
                  This ^^

I LOL'ed

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

You could argue that C and a C compiler is just a wrapper for assembly... Extreme case, yes, but my point is: A library is anything that wraps around something else with the goal of making it easier to access / do. The fact this library just simplifies access and functions isn't something to be understated. Its still helpful, its still doing a job. And, SERIOUSLY?! who cares about the size? So what if its only 2.5k?
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X