Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KLyDE: A New Lightweight KDE Project Started

Default KLyDE: A New Lightweight KDE Project Started

Phoronix: KLyDE: A New Lightweight KDE Project Started

A SUSE Linux developer has started a new project called KLyDE. The focus of KLyDE (K Lightweight Desktop Environment) is to provide a lightweight KDE desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1MDA

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: KLyDE: A New Lightweight KDE Project Started

A SUSE Linux developer has started a new project called KLyDE. The focus of KLyDE (K Lightweight Desktop Environment) is to provide a lightweight KDE desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1MDA
    We barely got started, dude. I strongly recommend against installing any of the packages - they'll just break stuff... Eg you'll get a system settings looking like http://susepaste.org/28632739, IF it works at all ;-)

WIP of the worst kind...

Martin, if you (or Aaron) are actually reading this thread can you offer your insights on this project? Whether as a thread post or as a blog post. Is this something that could be usefully integrated into KF5 or is this project and the current KF5 Plasma work in conflict with eachother? I know there were several posts weeks back about speeding up plasma's startup time and replacing startkde

So is Will or another dev reading this?

A less confusing system settings could be useful to many people. I mostly find stuff via the search box. Just lump all settings you don't think belong in the main view under an "advanced" option, rather than bothering with profile switching?

Interesting that this mainly deals with the psychology of what is considered fast/light. Question, though, how will PIM applications work without Akonadi now?

http://dantti.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/1-2-3-plasma/

That may be useful stuff!

It seam that kde startup had hard coded sleep(4000)...

So something new would be welcomed.
    (Not that arch+kde+e4rat is slow on my machine :P)

Interesting, so another distro is finally going to try this. At the very least, as-needed installation of KDE packages is something we've had in Gentoo since... well, KDE 3.5 is the earliest I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Interesting, so another distro is finally going to try this. At the very least, as-needed installation of KDE packages is something we've had in Gentoo since... well, KDE 3.5 is the earliest I remember it.
    Well that goes without saying, given that Portage is the core of Gentoo :P

Default Razor-qt

Could be a nice match with Razor-qt.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Could be a nice match with Razor-qt.
    Yea. At first I thought it was another project just like it, but actually it's just a repackage of KDE, so that's a much smaller project in scale, while still retaining the advantage of having all KDE-specific capabilities.

KlyDE really sounds like a breath of fresh air, I would love to try this as soon as it is ready! I hope this cuts out the plasma icon or at least makes it a option not a feature. I am running KDE 3.5 from the opensuse build service repository. I love it but it is currently crippled in many areas due to HAL being phased out.