Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases 3D Programming Documentation

Phoronix: AMD Releases 3D Programming Documentation

For the past several weeks we have been referencing AMD's "tcore" in several of our articles, which is a user-space software suite that has been developed and used internally at ATI by engineers to work on various aspects of their binary drivers. Tcore is primarily used for testing prior to the availability of the actual silicon for their forthcoming graphics processors. John Bridgman and Alex Deucher have been working tediously to get this tcore source-code sanitized and cleared for public release, and finally they have reached this milestone. AMD has just published the first bits of open-source 3D programming documentation for ATI GPUs. This 3D programming documentation covers the R500 series and even goes back with information on the R300/400 series as well. The R600 3D programming guide will also be out soon. This information available today is what will foster the growth of open-source R500/600 3D support for the Radeon and RadeonHD drivers as well as R600 2D acceleration.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Brrr... Did I just see Lucifer skating home from work?

Comment

by when can we expect radeon/radeonhd to offer a 3d driver supporting AIGLX/Compiz? I am fed up of fglrx.

Comment

In related news, hell has frozen over.

At current progress (RadeonHD)...not for a while. More people who can contribute to the RadeonHD driver the better - speeds things up so if you can help, go for it.

Radeon...maybe faster perhaps...I'm sure they want to start on the r300 and r400 stuffs soon.

Comment

The changes from R3xx to R5xx are relatively small on the 3D side - mostly the way fragment shaders are loaded into the chip. It looks like the changes can be made in the existing "r300" mesa code, ie no need to start a new 3D driver for 5xx. We are hoping that the documentation will also help provide better understanding of the functions which are common from 3xx to 5xx.

The current thinking is to have all drivers use the same 3d and drm code, so once radeonhd has dri support added we should be able to have everyone share the same 3d code.
          Last edited by bridgman; 23 February 2008, 04:45 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

but does 3D==AIGLX/Compiz or is it just the way to GLX_ext_Texture_from_pixmap and composite needed for compiz+aiglx

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
              but does 3D==AIGLX/Compiz or is it just the way to GLX_ext_Texture_from_pixmap and composite needed for compiz+aiglx
              For AIGLX you need a working 3D driver hope this answer your question

Comment

yaa that i know wat i asked was that will AIGLX be the 1st thing 3d devs will be looking at or will we first have a stable fast open gl driver and then move on to aiglx as a secondary goal

Comment

I think they'll first create the basic 3d code, just to make things work, and then they'll stabilize it.
                  After that they can add compiz support (still to just make things work) and then they'll optimize it. Speed isn't a that important feature yet as radeonhd is still in a relatively young development phase.

Comment

Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
                    yaa that i know wat i asked was that will AIGLX be the 1st thing 3d devs will be looking at or will we first have a stable fast open gl driver and then move on to aiglx as a secondary goal
                    AIGLX come for free with any 3D driver

Comment

Working...
                    X