No announcement yet.

Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is uefi useful for? I'll upgrade soon my pc and hence wonder what that is and what to watch out, as I want to triple boot Ubuntu/Win/osx86.
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      What is uefi useful for? I'll upgrade soon my pc and hence wonder what that is and what to watch out, as I want to triple boot Ubuntu/Win/osx86.
      Thanks
      Well, UEFI is a system firmware standard. System firmware is useful because you can't boot your system without it.

UEFI is a 'modern' replacement for BIOS. It has several advantages in design, though in all honesty they're mostly not terrible visible to the user, and to be frank, a lot of UEFI implementations so far are quite bad.

If you get a new PC with a UEFI install of Windows 8 then you will need to do native UEFI installs of Ubuntu and OS X if you want to triple boot, or install them on separate disks; you can't mix native UEFI install and BIOS emulation installs on one hard disk.

Comment

Hmm, I thought that to be a MS thing to prevent running Windows on Mac hardware... Anyway my new parts will need to support legacy bios.

Comment

Working...
        X