X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet 20e that the alpha will be delayed again in a weeks time

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      No. Im not using it. Sure I might join if you are to take the bet. I feel confident about AdamW's claims and Im ready to bet on Fedora AND against claims that petty cash might influence his work. So you can pick any amount between 100 and 1000?.

Lets deposit the money at a trusted source and then let the winner claim the prize after release. I suggest we ask Rahul to be trusted with the money. If he would do it off course. Rahul?

Im ready to put my money where my mouth is. Are you ready to do the same?
      Sure but I don't expect Pallidus to followup on this.

Comment

Rahul: well, I'm usually the awkward bastard arguing for slips when everyone else wants to ship, so in that sense, it would have been in my interests to the tune of 100 euro to not be such an awkward bastard :P

I'm sure Michael will put a story up tomorrow, but we signed off on Alpha today, no more slips. It doesn't work in UEFI native mode on Macs, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Comment

AND against claims that petty cash might influence his work.
          WRONG, that was a joke and taken out of context, I never thought 100eur could possibly influence the release schedule.

Im ready to put my money where my mouth is. Are you ready to do the same?
          You join phoronix out of the blue and your 4th post is you wanting to stand in for a guy in a bet... Then you suggest putting money at the care of a red hat employee, you must think I'm pretty stupid that I'm not able to figure out what's going on here...

Y'know what? I'm sure fedora 19 will be shipped with just minimal delays, 20 days or so, but I highly DOUBT that the broken pieces of shit like anaconda etc will be much improved...

If the alpha has been cleared where can I download it at?

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
            If the alpha has been cleared where can I download it at?
            It'll be released on Tuesday. We do the go/no-go meeting Thursday, release happens following Tuesday.

Comment

stfu and gtfo. Stop making it seem like I hate fedora... I hated fedora 18, hence my jokes and reaction to fedora 19 schedule.

Was I serious about people compromising the project for 100 eur? NO

Was I serious about my statements about g3.8 and doubting fedora19 will be much improved from 18? yes, but now I will have to test and see and I will be the first one to admit being a dick if f19 proves to be good (or better than f18)

but it's hard to compare it to f17 since all alphas and betas run significantly slower since they were compiled with debug

Comment

getting really tired of your shit Horton.. who said I hate the distribution?

I hated that specific version = fedora 18... hated it, badly... since it fucked up my upgrade cycle and made me jump to a different distro.

is this what you are calling the 'beta'? :

Linux 3.9.2-301.fc19.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 12:36:24 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm running it righ now and yes... it's pretty good.

I can see why they are so eager to get it out asap and make people forget about the disaster that was f18.

buggine me: something in either this kernel's synaptic touchpad drivers or gnome 3.8... too sensitive, I can't use 2 finger scrolling since it always assumes a tap and I can't even use tap to click since it 60% assumes double tap.

But I can deal with that.

The minimize window button that I saw in some screenshots of gnome 3.8 is nowhere to be seen, neither there's an option to turn it on...

I can deal with that.

with some extensions and proper theme there's hope still for gnome 3.8

let me see memory:

gnome shell 225 mb mem

+ gnome settings 7mb +gnome session 6mb +calendar+ keyring blabla bla

gnome 3.8 < 300 mb mem

not bad... seems like they didn't deserve all the hate I had towards them, if only they would stop breaking my FKN THEMES

questions:

grep "SNA init" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

????????

WHY ARENT U USING SNA?? WHY?

I suppose the vaapi intel package is nowehere to be found neither

wtf

anyways moving on

is it at all possible to setup a password for live system user? (even if I have to do it everytime) I did that with f18 beta and it fucked up the persistence and the usb key so I won't try it unless someone else does.

firewall

for only outgoing connections firewalld should be set at

~]$ firewall-cmd --get-active-zones
                block: wlp3s0

what's the diff between block and drop?

why do you have to set the default zone to the one you want and then reload ? it should be more dynamic only requiring you to click once

overall = quite impressed

if this is any indication of final release quality seems like I will be returning to fedora ... glad I didn't bet 100 eur
                Last edited by Pallidus; 24 May 2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

The minimize window button that I saw in some screenshots of gnome 3.8 is nowhere to be seen, neither there's an option to turn it on...
                  Install gnome-tweak-tool, run it, go to Shell Extensions, toggle 'Default minimize and maximize' (yes, I know it's not obvious, but it's there).

questions:

grep "SNA init" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

????????

WHY ARENT U USING SNA?? WHY?
                  I don't know off hand, but I do know that our lead X maintainers - Dave Airlie and Adam Jackson - are as plugged into Intel driver development as anything. If they haven't yet sna to be used by default yet, they have a good reason for it. Dave may be around to comment, he posts here sometimes.

I suppose the vaapi intel package is nowehere to be found neither
                  [root@adam anaconda (master %)]# yum info libva
                  Name : libva
                  Arch : x86_64
                  Version : 1.1.1
                  Release : 2.fc19
                  Size : 167 k
                  Repo : installed
                  From repo : updates-testing
                  Summary : Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux
                  URL : http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi
                  License : MIT
                  Description : Libva is a library providing the VA API video acceleration API.

The Fedora package doesn't have support for many codecs, though, due to patent issues. The patent-encumbered codec support is available from third-party repos for those who are legally able to use it.

is it at all possible to setup a password for live system user? (even if I have to do it everytime) I did that with f18 beta and it fucked up the persistence and the usb key so I won't try it unless someone else does.
                  To be honest, we really don't test the USB persistence stuff much. You get it in the state it happens to be in...so I can't give you a definitive answer on that one, sorry.

~]$ firewall-cmd --get-active-zones
                  block: wlp3s0

what's the diff between block and drop?
                  If you 'block' a port, anything that tries to connect to it will get a response immediately which makes it clear the port is blocked. If you 'drop' it, packets to that port are just dropped, with no 'rejected!' response being sent to the client trying to access it. Basically, if you're trying to connect to a server and the server is just dropping the packets, you can't tell whether there's something at the remote end dropping the packets or there's nothing there at all; you just don't know. So some people argue that 'drop' is more secure than 'block' because you are providing less information to the attacker.

overall = quite impressed

if this is any indication of final release quality seems like I will be returning to fedora ... glad I didn't bet 100 eur
                  Again, glad you're enjoying it.

Comment

thanks for the answers and the good work you're doing in fedora.

I don't run web servers ftp or remote desktop plus I got pwned in windows so now I only allow outgoing connections.

If I set firewalld to 'drop' I can't use firefox but if I set it to 'block' everything works

I do wish for something more in the lines of gufw where you can set it up it exactly the way you like it with specific ports and programs.

SNA easily doubles your performance, you can check people's gtkperf benchmarks http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2103579.html

I do wish those guys weren't so conservative, no issues in gen4 or 5.

Only bad thing I can think of is that memory management in the live session still hasn't been looked at or fixed, after a few hours of using live session mostly browsing html5 videos on youtube and doing this and that I still kill firefox and then the whole system crashes.

but I guess no one designs live sessions for intensive use.

looking forward to the final release so I can install this

Comment

thanks for the answers and the good work you're doing in fedora.

I don't run web servers ftp or remote desktop plus I got pwned in windows so now I only allow outgoing connections.

If I set firewalld to 'drop' I can't use firefox but if I set it to 'block' everything works

I do wish for something more in the lines of gufw where you can set it up it exactly the way you like it with specific ports and programs.

SNA easily doubles your performance, you can check people's gtkperf benchmarks http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-2103579.html

I do wish those guys weren't so conservative, no issues in gen4 or 5.

Only bad thing I can think of is that memory management in the live session still hasn't been looked at or fixed, after a few hours of using live session mostly browsing html5 videos on youtube and doing this and that I still kill firefox and then the whole system crashes.

but I guess no one designs live sessions for intensive use.

looking forward to the final release so I can install this
                      I think the problem is that Firefox caches videos in local 'storage' so you can seek through them, and of course in a live session, local 'storage' is RAM. I'll try and see if it would be possible to tweak FF's behaviour when running live, but you're quite right that it's not a high priority issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X