Fedora 19 Alpha Gets Its First Delay Due To UEFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    HAHAHA! Fedora is crashing and burning again! Nice to see Ubuntu keeping to its schedule while these fedora programming gods keep failing. Ubuntu > Fedora anytime anywhere.
    There are plenty of issues with Ubuntu's UEFI support right now, including an inability to resize a GPT partition from within the installer... although nothing as bad as this Fedora bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      That's why I desperately need a way to install Gnome Shell 3.8 on Fedora 18! Please drop me a link if you you've stumbled upon a set of complete instructions please drop me a link.
      That's exactly my problem. Normally I wouldn't care since I'm quite happy with my F18 box but having to wait over 3 months to get Gnome 3.8 is ridiculous, so out of sync one of the teams should reconsider things. Assuming that this won't be the only delay the release will get even further closer to 3.10. I'm thinking of trying OpenSUSE when the time comes to update my OS. Apart from yast and its microcosm should I expect any other huge changes?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        That's nice.
        I have a brand new purchased only a few days ago Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 in my workstation here at work. I'm running a pre-release version of Fedora 19. I told the bios NO FUCKING UEFI CRAP, and passed "noefi" to the installer's kernel. Worked perfect, and no UEFI crap.

I think the big problem that exists, is the approach that Fedora seems to take on this UEFI crap. There are actually two bootloaders on the installer disk, one's UEFI and launched by UEFI crap, the other's syslinux, and launched by normal boot process. Even if the bios is in UEFI mode, it would still happily launch the syslinux bootloader on the CD, but only if the UEFI crap... WAS NOT THERE. In other words, stick to syslinux, scan the INSTALL DISK for UEFI crap, and then decide if UEFI should be used. I.e., UEFI should ONLY be used if the user already has UEFI crap on the disk, which implies that they are dual booting with something evil. If there's no UEFI crap on the disk, take over the disk and *do it right*.
        edit: okay, what I wrote before was a bit mean. But a) we don't want to do that, and b) you really can't do that. You can't boot in BIOS emulation mode and then 'scan the INSTALL DISK for UEFI crap' and somehow 'switch' to native UEFI boot. It just doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
          I'm thinking of trying OpenSUSE when the time comes to update my OS. Apart from yast and its microcosm should I expect any other huge changes?
          No, not really. But see this news post overall about that: http://news.opensuse.org/2013/03/22/...geekos/#fedora

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
            That's exactly my problem. Normally I wouldn't care since I'm quite happy with my F18 box but having to wait over 3 months to get Gnome 3.8 is ridiculous, so out of sync one of the teams should reconsider things. Assuming that this won't be the only delay the release will get even further closer to 3.10. I'm thinking of trying OpenSUSE when the time comes to update my OS. Apart from yast and its microcosm should I expect any other huge changes?
            Yup. I understand it's just the way it is. The Fedora version vs Gnome version sync. But I can't understand why Ubuntu blokes can have a freaking PPA with latest Gnome Shell for previous Ubuntu versions and we can't. Also it's irritating to get the "test it on LiveCD" or "test it when 19 alpha comes out". I don't want to test it. It's so much better I want to use it! Anyway, please drop me a PM if you find a way to install Gnome 3.8 on Fedora 18.

Comment

Yup. I understand it's just the way it is. The Fedora version vs Gnome version sync. But I can't understand why Ubuntu blokes can have a freaking PPA with latest Gnome Shell for previous Ubuntu versions and we can't. Also it's irritating to get the "test it on LiveCD" or "test it when 19 alpha comes out". I don't want to test it. It's so much better I want to use it! Anyway, please drop me a PM if you find a way to install Gnome 3.8 on Fedora 18.
              Compile Gnome 3.8 from source using JHBuild?

To be fair, it is an extremely error-prone task and I have never been able to actually pull it off successfully. But if you are adventurous enough you might want to give it a try. Who knows, you might just be able to do it.

Comment

It can be done but someone has to volunteer to do it. Personally, I wouldn't mind trying but I have a lot of work piled up for the next release which is close to an alpha release and I am already behind on the set of things I want to do.

Comment

I don't see much point in someone wasting time getting gnome 3.8 in f18 when f19 is slated to come out in about a month... Its not like you have to wait 6 months for f19. And I doubt f19 will get continually delayed like 18 was, since they aren't doing anything crazy like re-writing the installer with this release.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    I don't see much point in someone wasting time getting gnome 3.8 in f18 when f19 is slated to come out in about a month... Its not like you have to wait 6 months for f19. And I doubt f19 will get continually delayed like 18 was, since they aren't doing anything crazy like re-writing the installer with this release.
                    This was from yesterday, in case you missed it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM0OTg

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                      This was from yesterday, in case you missed it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM0OTg
                      I did see that yesterday, what I meant was I don't foresee it being continually delayed like f18.

Comment

Working...
                      X