Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    That's it, it's decided, my next phone will run Sailfish
    I had already decided that a while ago. Hence it's very exciting to monitor the space for all the news.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    "Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself." - or how to pull a Canonical. ROFL.
    WTF. Canonical has been deliberately and constantly omitting and lying.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    WTF. Canonical has been deliberately and constantly omitting and lying.
    Does that surprise you...? I havent used this phrase yet because i didn't agree with it then, but quite honestly... Canonical is the Apple of the OSS world. Happy I havent loaded *Buntu in a longtime on any computers haha

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    On several occasions one or two Mir main developers stated they didn't participate in the decision to create Mir. And Mir is developed under CLA and GPLv3(fact: a lot of companies avoid GPLv3 in their products or simply ban it).

    <tinfoil> I bet the reasons aren't technical at all. They want control and a restrictive license, so they can sell proprietary licenses to manufacturers. Google sells services and Canonical sells proprietary license to GLPv3 code. </tinfoil>
    Actually it's LGPLv3, and many companies leverage their software against LGPL libraries.
    One such example is Qt, I don't see many companies avoiding that in their products.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Why did they even create Mir, if it was that easy to make wayland run on android drivers also?
    Two reasons:
    1) Control of the project
    2) They don't know how Wayland works
    One reason can be understandable, the other a bit less
    In any case, I had followed Wayland from the mailing list from one year so far, and the things became to be more interesting every day.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intellivision View Post
    Actually it's LGPLv3, and many companies leverage their software against LGPL libraries.
    One such example is Qt, I don't see many companies avoiding that in their products.
    There's big difference between LGPLv3 and LGPLv2.1 (used by Qt for example). Especially embedded industry avoids L/GPLv3 licenses because its anti-tivoization clause and such. MeeGo/Tizen and various other projects forbid L/GPLv3 in their core and projects like Yocto have no-L/GPLv3 build switches.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krysto View Post
    Getting unified Android/Linux/ChromeOS drivers would be ideal, whoever manages to bring us that. It should've been Google's project from day one of Android, but I guess it wasn't their priority, which is too bad because that has led to some of the biggest fragmentation issues of Android.
    driver != driver the problem are the driver that are not part of the kernel, eg the drivers that run in userspace. This isn't the problem with wayland as it requires no user space drivers like X11.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    There's big difference between LGPLv3 and LGPLv2.1 (used by Qt for example). Especially embedded industry avoids L/GPLv3 licenses because its anti-tivoization clause and such. MeeGo/Tizen and various other projects forbid L/GPLv3 in their core and projects like Yocto have no-L/GPLv3 build switches.
    So I suppose that's why Tizen has decided to keep gnutls and gpg-error which are both licensed under LGPLv3+ (gnutls was recently re-licensed to v2.1+, but had up until the end of March was exclusively LGPLv3+)

    Your argument really holds no water here.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Wayland is actually making some progress, perhaps the announcement of Mir made the Wayland guys move a bit faster. Hopefully we will have a fully functional Wayland desktop BEFORE the year 2025 now! I would like to see Wayland overtake X instead of Mir, but seriously it's all going to come down to performance & stability and not open source politics.

  10. #20

    Default

    Did everyone miss this part from the blogpost?

    Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.

    That kind of behavior ruined the initial reason I open sourced libhybris in the first place and I was shocked to the point that I contemplated to by default not open source my hobby projects any more. It's not cool for companies to do things like this, no matter your commercial reasons. It ruins it for all of us who want to strengthen the open source ecosystem. We could have really used your improvements and patches earlier on instead of struggling with some of these issues.

    But, I will say that their behavior has improved - they are now participating in the project, discussing, upstreaming patches that are useful. And I forgive them because they've changed their ways and are participating sanely now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •