Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did everyone miss this part of the blogpost:

Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.

That kind of behavior ruined the initial reason I open sourced libhybris in the first place and I was shocked to the point that I contemplated to by default not open source my hobby projects any more. It's not cool for companies to do things like this, no matter your commercial reasons. It ruins it for all of us who want to strengthen the open source ecosystem. We could have really used your improvements and patches earlier on instead of struggling with some of these issues.

But, I will say that their behavior has improved - they are now participating in the project, discussing, upstreaming patches that are useful. And I forgive them because they've changed their ways and are participating sanely now.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
      "Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself." - or how to pull a Canonical. ROFL.
      Reminds me this:

What many people don?t understand about Linux development is that it?s truly a team effort:
      Red Hat develops the kernel,
      Novell develops the applications,
      Debian does the packaging,
      and Ubuntu takes the credit!

?Joke found on a bathroom stall at LinuxWorld Boston 2005

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
        I would like to see Wayland overtake X instead of Mir, but seriously it's all going to come down to performance & stability and not open source politics.
        Mir is an Ubuntu/Unity only project and not aimed to reliably support any of the other DEs/WMs, while Wayland is the exact opposite. There can be no doubt that Wayland will be the successor of X, simply because you can not trust Canonical that they will (intentionally?) make changes to the Mir/Unity duo that breaks other DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          This means: the only legitimate reason to support Mir has disappeared overnight.
          Using Wayland with Android drivers is not new. Collabora ported Wayland to Android months ago: http://ppaalanen.blogspot.de/2012/09...o-404-and.html
          This here is obviously a step further in that Wayland runs not only on an Android system but now on a glibc system with libhybris but Android drivers are used in both cases (and this Jolla works probably builds on the Collabora work).

Originally posted by talvik View Post
          On several occasions one or two Mir main developers stated they didn't participate in the decision to create Mir. And Mir is developed under CLA and GPLv3(fact: a lot of companies avoid GPLv3 in their products or simply ban it).

<tinfoil> I bet the reasons aren't technical at all. They want control and a restrictive license, so they can sell proprietary licenses to manufacturers. Google sells services and Canonical sells proprietary license to GLPv3 code. </tinfoil>
          What's ?tinfoil? about that? It's exactly the same business model Trolltech used for Qt, Oracle uses for MySQL, etc.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Canonical is the Apple of the OSS world.
          If that was the case, Canonical was a driving force behind WebKit, developed Clang and contributed it to LLVM, maintained CUPS, managed X.org releases, invented libdispatch, developed Bonjour, ect. and did all that without any CLA crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            If that was the case, Canonical was a driving force behind WebKit, developed Clang and contributed it to LLVM, maintained CUPS, managed X.org releases, invented libdispatch, developed Bonjour, ect. and did all that without any CLA crap.
            More in the sense of... the take credit for others work. Not in a way "Oh we're distributing it" way but a "They coded it. We took it. Called it our own, claimed development of it because most people wont check the license file that marks us as liars."
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Reduce pressure on creating free drivers or on open the hardware seems a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                Getting unified Android/Linux/ChromeOS drivers would be ideal, whoever manages to bring us that. It should've been Google's project from day one of Android, but I guess it wasn't their priority, which is too bad because that has led to some of the biggest fragmentation issues of Android.
                But only if the drivers were not closed. If closed drivers goes mainstream in linux, you can also use windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Does that surprise you...? I havent used this phrase yet because i didn't agree with it then, but quite honestly... Canonical is the Apple of the OSS world. Happy I havent loaded *Buntu in a longtime on any computers haha
                  You should use your energie for hitting closed drivers instead of hitting canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
                    You should use your energie for hitting closed drivers instead of hitting canonical.
                    Canonical has done nothing to get rid of closed drivers.

Comment

I thought Carsten's own words were quite interesting:

Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.

That kind of behavior ruined the initial reason I open sourced libhybris in the first place and I was shocked to the point that I contemplated to by default not open source my hobby projects any more. It's not cool for companies to do things like this, no matter your commercial reasons. It ruins it for all of us who want to strengthen the open source ecosystem. We could have really used your improvements and patches earlier on instead of struggling with some of these issues.
                      So basically everything Mir has achieved -- Androit driver integration, based on Carsten's libhybris intended to support Wayland on Sailfish. Mesa integration, based on Kristian's EGL/GBM work intended for Wayland. XMir, straight port from XWayland, not to mention the general architecture of Mir heavily influenced by Wayland.

Now, I'm not calling them leechers or parasites or any other names. This is the nature of open source software. You are allowed, sometimes even encouraged to build upon the work of others. But give credit where it's due. Carsten did say they are being quite cooperative now, participating in discussions and submitting patches upstream. This is the way it should have been from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                      X