Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New AMD Catalyst Beta Supports Linux 3.8, TF2 Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    Sigh... I wish AMD would put out a new fglrx legacy driver too. I don't have the money for a new GPU (besides my HD3850 can run a load of games just fine) and I hate being stuck on an old version of the distro that I use :-(.
    You may want to poke around Arch forum. Support for just kernels require GPL2 kernel module, and no changes to fglrx.

Now if you also have newer X server...

Default No AMD

AMD needs to get faster at getting drivers to support the latest kernel.
    This is hurting them.

I do not buy AMD and can not recommend AMD to anyone.

wow, that's kind of a big changelog...if that's how it'll be in the future, I could decide to buy another AMD GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Am I right to assume that this one does not support xorg-server 1.14? If so, does that mean we have to wait for Ubuntu 13.10 to get support for that?
    Bridgman, if you read this, do you have access to some kind of roadmap for the Catalyst driver (if such thing even exists)?
    According to the release notes it supports up to xserver 1.13. So it's almost definite that 1.14 won't be supported.

Then again most distros, even the most bleeding edge Fedora 18 is still on xserver 1.13 so I don't see the problem of Catalyst not being able to support 1.14 as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313
    AMD needs to get faster at getting drivers to support the latest kernel.
    And most distros that were released 2 - 3 months ago don't even ship with 3.8 or even 3.7. I don't see the point of supporting an unreleased kernel that is not even deployed yet.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 04-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    According to the release notes it supports up to xserver 1.13. So it's almost definite that 1.14 won't be supported.
    The same release notes also claim that kernels up to 3.5 are supported, despite the note in the changelog that it goes up to 3.5 now, therefore I asked.

Then again most distros, even the most bleeding edge Fedora 18 is still on xserver 1.13 so I don't see the problem of Catalyst not being able to support 1.14 as of now.
    OK, the most bleeding edge distro of all, Slackware, is on 1.14 for about a month now in -current. Seriously, AMD not being able to keep up with Slackware's development? And if they sync their support of kernels/Xorg with Ubuntu, do we have to wait another 6 months for support (when we maybe already have 1.15)?

Wait, Catalyst 13.3 beta 3?
    Shouldn't it be 13.3 beta 4?
    Or more appropriate, 13.4 beta 1?

Don't tell me AMD kept the naming while this is actually a new, improved binary...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    And most distros that were released 2 - 3 months ago don't even ship with 3.8 or even 3.7. I don't see the point of supporting an unreleased kernel that is not even deployed yet.
    I am using Ubuntu 13.04 and it has the 3.8 kernel.

Reason distributions don't use latest kernel and X.org Server is sometimes because AMD don't support it yet.
    So AMD is holding back progress on Linux by being slow to support latest kernels and X.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Wait, Catalyst 13.3 beta 3?
    Shouldn't it be 13.3 beta 4?
    Or more appropriate, 13.4 beta 1?

Don't tell me AMD kept the naming while this is actually a new, improved binary...
    That is exactly what confuses me about the article.

As far as I know, I already installed 13.3 beta 3 a few weeks ago, when I installed openSUSE 12.3

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I am using Ubuntu 13.04 and it has the 3.8 kernel.
    Kernel module build just fine on 3.9 kernel (I running it on my HTPC with fglrx). That was told few times already, even previous beta support Linux 3.9, but people like you continue to blindly complain ("oh, too bad...") without actually checking the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Reason distributions don't use latest kernel and X.org Server is sometimes because AMD don't support it yet.
    So AMD is holding back progress on Linux by being slow to support latest kernels and X.
    Hey, take a look: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ch/036848.html
    For the proprietary drivers, -nvidia now has a compatible release we can provide, but we're still awaiting updates for -fglrx and -tegra.
    so let's fix your quote:
    Reason distributions don't use latest kernel and X.org Server is sometimes because AMD AND NVIDIA don't support it yet.
    So AMD AND NVIDIA is holding back progress on Linux by being slow to support latest kernels and X.
    btw, Michael for porpuse doesn't mentoin this problem with Tegra driver here and you... guess what? You write this: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...057#post317057

Is the SS3BFE flicker problem solved?

It's easy to alt+enter twice to restart de renderer and get the fllicker away, but...